The coastal city Batumi is the second-largest city in Georgia. Located in the subtropical zone near the Lesser Caucasian Mountains, Batumi is a popular destination for locals and visitors. During summer months, Batumi is a bustling resort, while in winter it is covered in snow. Also an important seaport, Batumi offers many exciting landmarks for you to explore. Once you finish touring around its centers, pick one or two or three of these amazing sites just outside of Batumi and go on a day-trip.
Fortresses of Gonio and Petra
Gonio Fortress, located just an hour drive from Batumi, is a Roman fortification from the second century AD; the area was a well-fortified Roman city in the Colchis Kingdom. It is believed that the grave of one of the twelve apostles, Saint Matthias, is here. Unfortunately, this claim is unverified because the Georgian government won’t allow digging near the presumed grave-site. Other archaeological excavations have been focused on the layers of the Roman fortress.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Petra used to be a fortified town on the coast of the Black Sea in the ancient Colchis Kingdom. During the reign of Byzantine Emperor Justinian I (sixth century), the area became an essential Eastern Roman position in the Caucasus. Moreover, because of its strategic locations, from 541 to 563 AD, it became a battlefield for the Lazic War between Rome and Persia.
Scholars identify Petra as a ruined settlement of Late Antiquity containing a 656-foot-long (200 m) citadel, baths, urban settlements, water cisterns, and more. Scholars believe that the citadel had a sizable three-nave basilica with a grand narthex and apse (entrance and aisles) that date back to the sixth century. The fortress is located in the village of Tsikhisdziri, a 40-minute ride from Batumi.
Tsablnari (Chestnut Forest) trail is a 4.3 mile (7km) trek that rises from 869 feet (265 m) above sea level to 1,450 feet (442 m). The trail leads to the waterfall and the lake. The waterfall is covered with Colchic box trees and ivy. And if you happen to like the area, you can camp here or even have a picnic near the designated fire pits.
There’s another two-day trail in the park that takes you 4,101 ft (1,250 m) above sea level. This trail is great for exploring flora, watching roe deer, and running across signs of brown bear, martens, and chamois (goat-antelope). There’s a shelter on the trail that has picnic spots, restrooms, fire pits, and room to accommodate eight hikers overnight.
Adjoining Mtirala National Park is the Kintrishi Protected Areas, located in Kobuleti District at the gorge of the Kintrishi River. Established in 1959, the area preserves unique flora and fauna, including the famous Colchian willow trees. Covering 46,686 acres (18,893 hectares), the park has many secrets and surprises. Recent archaeological expeditions even revealed pre-Christian monuments in this area.
The drive toward Green Lake takes about three hours, but the trip is worth it. Situated in the charming Goderdzi Pass, the lake is 6,752 ft (2,058 m) above sea level and has a natural green color. Relax and take astonishing pictures of the landscape. In warmer months, you can swim in the lake’s green waters.
Another very short drive from Batumi takes you to Machackhela National Park, where you can see one of the oldest and most breathtaking parts of the Adjara region: Machakhela Gorge. Here, you can explore Gvara Fortress, discover waterfalls, visit the village of Ajarisaghmarti, and cross the lovely Tskhemlara arched bridge. You can also visit the Machakhela Ethnographic Museum for a fun history lesson.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.