Besides historical sights, incredible architecture, and a bustling dining scene, Tbilisi is a great place for book lovers. Here, you can find several bookshops (English-language versions available), literature museums, and even cafes where you can sit down with your own book or something of the venue and enjoy a peaceful afternoon tea.
Pick up a book to learn more about Georgia
First and foremost, do a bit of a research and find a perfect book to understand the country. We have compiled a list of the several English-language books that will help you learn more about Georgia’s history, culture, traditions, and its recent past.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Don’t worry if, for whatever reason, you didn’t bring a book on your trip to Georgia. Prospero’s Bookshop is the oldest English language bookstore in Tbilisi having a wide range of genres you can choose from. The average price of books is between GEL$15-35 (US$6.25-14.58). Tucked behind the Rustaveli Avenue, the bookshop and the cafe are situated in a small courtyard creating a perfect, relaxing atmosphere to have a nice coffee, piece of a cake, and a good book to spend your free afternoon.
Biblus Gallery is a chain of Georgian bookstores that has a section of English and Russian language books. You can find classics as well as contemporary writers. The books are cheaper here compared to Prospero’s Bookshop, with an average price of GEL$8 (US$3.33), however, the selection might not be as good as that at Prospero’s, but it’s worth checking out. You can even sit down at a reading corner and skim through the book you’re thinking of buying.
You can also check out our article of the independent bookstores in Tbilisi to go on a book hunt here.
Toward the end of Rustaveli Avenue, almost near the Freedom Square, you might find book stalls displaying old books in Georgian or Russian languages, but sometimes you might be surprised to see odd English books too. However, do note that the sellers come out during spring and summer when the weather gets warmer.
National Parliamentary Library
In order to use the library resources, you’ll need to become a member. However, you can still browse the building and admire its beautiful architecture. Opened in 1846 as Tbilisi Public Library, the venue has expanded over the years and today features six buildings in both Tbilisi and Kutaisi.
The Book Museum
The National Parliamentary Library hides a book museum inside. It is the first permanent museum of the rarest books produced in the country. The museum is divided into four parts: rare books; the room of The Knight in the Panther’s Skin, a Georgian medieval poem published in Georgian and foreign languages; Ilia Hall, dedicated to Ilia Chavchavadze, writer, public figure and one of the founders of the national movement in the 19th century; and Marie-Félicité Brosset room – ultra-modern repository equipped with appropriate climate control technology. You can visit the museum on Monday to Friday from 10 a.m to 6 p.m.
Museum of Georgian Literature
The museum displays unique examples of old and contemporary Georgian literature as well as articles describing cultural heritage of foreign countries – manuscripts, archives, memorial belongings of well-known Georgian and foreign writers, plus paintings and graphics of local and foreign artists, photographs, bibliographical gems, and rare audio-video records.
Stalin’s Secret Underground Publishing House
Even though this is not an entirely book-themed sport, it is quite interesting to visit. The secret underground publishing house existed between 1903 and 1906 and printed nearly 300,000 newspapers, pamphlets, and brochures in Georgian, Russian, and Armenian languages and contained Soviet Propaganda.
Book Corner Cafe
Tbilisi has two branches of Book Corner cafes. Both have a pleasant and friendly atmosphere for you to enjoy your book with your favorite beverage or during lunch. The walls are filled with literary quotes, while the menu is printed in a book.
Art House is the new addition to the dining scene in Tbilisi. This multifunctional space incorporates various restaurants and bars. One of them, Publica, features a small library with the majority of books being in the English language. You can come here from 12 p.m., choose a book, and sit down in comfortable lounge-style sofas and get lost in the book. If you’d like to catch up on your work, they have high-speed internet and offer the co-working space free of charge.
And once you get hungry, you can order delicious burger sliders, shrimp tempura, Asian snacks, and various pizzas.
Bookworms will like this cafe because it offers a wide range of books in the English language to its visitors. Here, you can find both old and new publications of different genres. It’s home-like atmosphere and friendly staff makes the place a great venue in which to spend an afternoon.
Begemot Coffee Books
Begemot, located in the center of Tbilisi, combines a cafe and a bookstore. You can come here to buy a book, browse through their shelves, order a nice coffee, and enjoy a decent yet light lunch. Also, if you are into comic books, they have several on display as well. The price of the books ranges between GEL$5-20 (US$2.08-8.33), and if you have a book that you don’t want anymore, you can swap it for a new one.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.