Photographing historical events or just moments of everyday life have both been a big part of the photography scene in Georgia. Georgian documentary photographers showcase different genres and styles. Some touch very sensitive subjects and urge society to think differently. Thus, here’s the list of best Georgian documentary photographers you might want to check out.
Berlin-based Georgian photographer, he received an Academic Degree in Photo Journalist at Shota Rustvaeli Theater and Film State University in Tbilisi. Meskhi’s works focus on tranquil moments in the lives of Georgian youth. Since 2004, he has been working for several magazines and had exhibitions in Georgia, France, Germany, Austria, Russia, Israel and the U.K.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
He also co-directed a documentary movie with Tamuna Karumidze and Salome Machaidze between 2013 and 2015 called When the Earth Seems to be Light, which is based on his photographs.
Known as Dikarka, Oganova is a documentary photographer who works on long-term projects in different former Soviet countries. In 2013 she was selected among the world’s best young photographers to attend a masterclass of Joop Swart at World Press Photo, making her the first Georgian photographer to participate in the event. A year later, she was listed as one of 30 best women photographers under 30.
Her projects, I am Georgia, My Place and Frozen Waves, were exhibited in Italy, Spain, France, the U.S., Germany, Poland, Turkey, Denmark, Sweden, Georgia, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, Cambodia, and Lithuania to name a few. My Place is one of her most famous projects about the new generation of Georgia after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
Nebieridze is another Berlin-based Georgian photographer, who focuses on showcasing Berlin’s underground party scene. Before moving to Germany, his primary center was on Tbilisi depicting his closest friends among the frame of the city.
A graduate of Communications, he moved to Florence, Italy, in 2006, where he started to develop his interest in photography. He took a photojournalism class in 2012 and created his first photo project Four Rooms. After completing the course, he moved back to Tbilisi and now works on independent projects. In 2014, he was selected for Noor-Nikon masterclass in Istanbul and has been collaborating with the Tbilisi Photo Festival since that same year.
His project, Four Rooms, tells the story of nine Georgian women illegally working and living together in one apartment in Florence, Italy.
Grigalashvili is one of the most prominent figures of the new generation of Georgian photographers. Her personal project, Village of the Mice, on which she has been working for more than 20 years, takes the viewers to her homeland village Tagveti. It’s a timeless tale of returning to one’s roots and escaping from the confusion of the modern world.
Sulakauri got interested in photography when she was a child and looked through the book on the war by Robert Capa. After studying photography in Georgia, she went to New York to develop her skills and technique. Today, she is one of the photographers of Error Images, a documentary photo agency that concentrates on social problems in the Caucasus Region. One of her most famous projects was a series of very young brides getting married at the age of 15 or 16.
Gujabidze‘s video and photo series about a transgender woman, Bianka, shows the unbearable truth of the transgender community in Georgia’s moderate society. Her works are devoted to increasing awareness among Georgians that transgender people are regular human beings who have friends, relatives, families and personal lives.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.