The Georgian language is rich in words, phrases and idioms. However, once translated into English, it might not make any sense out of context, but they are an integral part of the culture and everyday life of the locals. Influenced by religion, traditions, superstitions, and nature, we present some Georgian idioms that will help you understand the culture and country.
To be born under a happy star – ბედნიერ ვარსკვლავზე დაბადებული
Used when referring to a person who gets lucky with everything he or she does. In the past, people believed that when a person was born, his or her fate star would appear in the sky, and when that person died, the star would disappear. This belief has vanished over the time, but the idiom remains.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
To walk on a pile (rope) bridge – ბეწვის ხიდზე გავლა
According to an old belief, there’s a pile bridge over the sea of tar in a future life, and after death, a person should cross it. As the pile bridge can easily collapse, those who did good deeds and were kind in their lifetimes will easily cross the bridge. Therefore, the idiom refers to overcoming a challenge.
Sugar to Your Mouth – შენს პირს შაქარი!
Used when a person shares good news or wishes that a situation will turn for the better. In other words, it means, “I hope it will turn out the way you say it.” It’s a historical saying that originated in a time when a messenger would get sweets as a gesture of respect when delivering good news.
To have seven Fridays a day – შვიდი პარასკევი აქვს დღეში
This idiom describes a person who constantly changes their character or opinion on a topic or who is indecisive.
Lamb of a Father Abraham – მამა აბრამის ბატკანი
Used to describe a person who tries to present him or herself as sinless and innocent, when in reality, it’s quite the opposite. The origins of this idiom can be traced back to a scene in the Bible when Abraham tried to sacrifice his son to God.
To wake up on a left leg – მარცხენა ფეხზე ადგომა
Georgians say a person “woke up on a left leg” when he or she is moody without any reason or if they encounter various accidents throughout the day.
Thirteenth piglet – მეცამეტე გოჭი
A 13th piglet is a person who tries to jump into a conversation and state his or her opinion or grab attention, even though no one asked. The phrase comes from the fact that a mother pig usually has 12 breasts to feed her piglets, and when the 13th piglet is born, it’s the spare one.
The sun washes her face – მზე პირს იბანს
When it’s raining on a sunny day, Georgians say that the sun washes their faces.
To pour kerosene on a fire – ცეცხლზე ნავთის დასხმა
The English version of this idiom would be to “add fuel to the fire.” It means to further aggravate or intensify a situation.
To drop a spoon in ashes – კოვზის ნაცარში ჩავარდნა
When plans fail, or if someone is disappointed, Georgians will say they “dropped a spoon in ashes.”
To be a low fence – დაბალი ღობე
Another characteristic idiom of a person who is powerless and often becomes a subject of bullying or pranks.
Raven is an aunt of a Jay – ყვავი ჩხიკვის მამიდა
Used to describe a very distant relative or acquaintance who you very seldom see and have no relationship with whatsoever.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.