On Monday afternoon, hundreds of Parisians queued in the scorching heat to be the first to plunge into the three new open-air swimming enclosures that have been installed in the Bassin de la Villette, the broad strip of water that connects the Canal de l’Ourcq and the Canal Saint-Martin in the northeast of the city.
The temporary structures, built at an estimated cost of €1.2 million ($1.4 million), stretch 100 meters along the Quai de la Loire, the Bassin’s southern point, and measure 16 meters across. The first is a paddling pool for young children, with a depth of just 40 centimeters (15 inches), the second is still reasonably shallow at 1.2 meters (4 feet), and the last, which is intended for adults only, is 2.2 meters (7 feet) below the water’s surface.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
They are all fed directly with water from the canals. ‘It’s a natural swimming experience, without chemical or biological treatment,’ a statement from Anne Hidalgo’s town hall promises. The only thing separating the swimming spaces from the rest of Paris’ canal network is a filter mesh intended to keep out leaves, fish, and other objects. According to early reviews, the water is as good as they say it is, though a small residuum of green algae does mean you’ll want to have a quick shower after your dip.
Up to 300 people can use the free, lifeguard-protected pools at any one time, though there is only locker space for 80, and, seeing as capacity had been fully reached just 30 minutes after Monday’s 3PM opening, it looks like they’ll have no problem in meeting their daily target of 1000 swimmers. This part of Paris is always popular during the summer anyway, thanks to the Paris Plages initiative, that brings popup restaurants and bars, sporting activities, lounge chairs and sun beds, and even palm trees to the canal’s walkways. The entire beach area will be open daily from 7AM to 11PM.
Getting the canals clean enough to swim in has been a mission of Paris’ town hall for many years. These waterways were once filthy, a victim of the chemical run-off and cargo barges of the neighborhood’s industrial past. Since the 1980s, tightened regulations have substantially reduced the amount of industrial waste entering the network and investments in wastewater treatment and sewer renovations have also greatly improved the water quality.
Following an intensive clean-up operation two years ago, the bacteria levels dropped below safe levels for the first time in decades. This was the green light many overheated Parisians were waiting for and it wasn’t uncommon to see people leaping off the canal’s highest bridges even though entering the water was still very much illegal. This was particularly popular last summer, after locals were encouraged by the sight of the Canal Saint-Martin being drained, dredged, and generally spruced up in January 2016.
The plan is to dismantle the structures at the end of the Paris Plages season, on September 10, and reinstall them next summer if this pilot year is deemed to have been a success. Plans are also afoot to make the Lac Daumesnil in the Bois de Vincennes swimmable by 2019 and, by the time the Olympics come to the French capital in 2024 (or 2028 if the Angelenos have their way), Parisians will also be able to take a dip in the Seine.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.