The Louvre Museum is world famous for the Mona Lisa, whose mysterious smile entices millions of visitors each year. It’s been admired in the French capital for half a millennia, but you might not have long left to see it in Paris. There are plans to send her on a rare “grand tour” to allow people in deprived areas of France to become both culturally and economically enriched.
The Louvre is the world’s largest art museum, boasting more than 35,000 works of art on display across 300 rooms. It’s so big it would take you no less than 100 days to visit every piece, and that’s only if you spent 30 seconds on each one. However, there’s one particular masterpiece hidden within this collection that has stood out for centuries.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is not because its brushstroke patterns are the most artistically accomplished nor the most beautiful, but because the twist of the smile the strokes painted is entwined with mystery. Not to mention the mysterious lack of eyebrows. As a result, most tourists who flock to this legendary museum are desperate to visit just one work of art: the Mona Lisa.
The masterpiece has rarely ventured outside the museum’s walls, with its top surveillance security and museum guards. However, Françoise Nyssen, the culture minister, has recently shared her hopes to send the world’s most famous painting to Lens, a deprived former mining town in northern France where the Louvre Museum has an outpost.
The idea is that struggling local businesses will increase their profits as visitors flock to see the Mona Lisa, and that the town will be positively uplifted both culturally and economically.
Francoise Nyssen told Europe 1 Radio she was “seriously considering” putting forward this masterpiece for a traveling exhibition across France. “I am meeting with the president of the Louvre this morning and I’m going to discuss the matter again,” Nyssen said. “My priority is to work against cultural segregation, and a large-scale plan for moving them around is a main way of doing that.”
“I am spearheading efforts as culture minister to combat cultural segregation, and one of the pillars of that is a grand plan to take works of art on tour. Cultural offerings exist: why would they be confined to certain places and not accessible everywhere for all to enjoy?”
Many art critics agree that artworks should be appreciated by a wide an audience as possible, rather than be “segregated” for appreciation by just one socio-economic strata of society and in one location. However, given that the Mona Lisa is one of France’s most prestigious artworks, naturally, there have been some concerns.
Art officials have shared their concerns not only over the fragility of Leonardo Da Vinci’s 16th-century masterpiece but also over its security. They worry about the potential of theft that taking such a valuable painting out of a CCTV secured institution and into to the most deprived areas of France might induce.
Such concerns are arguably well-founded, given that the painting was stolen from the Louvre in 1911, resurfacing only two years later in Florence.
Nonetheless, the move looks set to take place, judging by recent political moves to expand the enjoyment of historic masterpieces. Only recently did Emmanuel Macron, the French president, offer to loan Britain the incredibly delicate nearly 1,000-year-old Bayeux tapestry in 2022 while the museum in which it is usually housed undergoes renovation.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.