Vénus Khoury-Ghata was born in the mountain village of Bsherre in Lebanon but has lived in Paris since 1972. This literary legend, now 80 years old, has had an interesting career trajectory, to say the least. Read on to find out more about her curious journey into the the world of literature and her beautiful, evocative works. In many ways, Vénus Khoury-Ghata has always been driven forth by her boisterous imagination. As a girl, she would live through her diary, daydreaming of an exciting life of luxury. This dream came true when she won the title of Miss Beirut in 1959 – at the time, she was merely 18 years old. It was a life-changing award that immediately opened doors to the city’s most exclusive and fashionable circles.
However, she eventually grew tired of the glamour and instead turned to poetry, seeking out a higher beauty that would soon become her main source of fulfillment.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Her debut publication, first released in 1966, lead to a series of prestigious literary awards (including the famous Goncourt Prize) and her popularity with the French public continued to mount over the years.
Recently translated poetry collection
A Handful of Blue Earth is one of her poetry collections that has recently been translated from French by Marilyn Hacker. There is a deathly air that hangs over its pages, but what is truly fascinating are her poetic reflections on language.
“Where do words come from?
from what rubbing of sounds are they born
on what flint do they light their wicks
what winds brought them into our mouths”
Khoury-Ghata grew up speaking Arabic in Beirut, but her linguistic universe was completely upturned when she moved to France in 1972.
“All my life, I’ve struggled […] to write in a language that isn’t mine. A daily struggle […] with the plump adjectives and metaphors my mother tongue delights in that are rejected by the French language,” explained Khoury-Ghata in interview. “Exit images and excess sentiment. No obvious emotions either […] Arab as I am, I must erase from my memory a whole patrimony nourished with pre-Islamic poetry […] in order to write like the moderns.”
No longer able to weep in her own language, she described herself as imprisoned: “I am my own cage / at once prison and prisoner”.
Her immersion in foreign languages began at an early age, as her father was a Christian theologian who had worked as a French-Arabic interpreter. Her love for the French language stemmed from this phase of her life.
In this collection, she explores the idea of ‘burying’ her mother tongue. But there’s also a sense of empowerment we must take away, because Khoury-Ghata’s tongue has always resisted enforced silence, just as the bones resist burial in the first section, The Lady of Syros:
Dead but still desired by the man who keeps on digging, the Cycladic statue is unearthed by an archaeologist who strives to show us that the world is full of endless treasures.
“There is another earth under the earth
another sea beneath the sea […]
treasures worthy of a sultan’s palace”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.