Culture Trip met former Victoria’s Secret model Petra Němcová on board The B, the brand new cruise ship for millennials. We asked the model-turned-humanitarian about her favourite destinations and what she simply can’t travel without.
Petra Němcová knows how to make an entrance. The former Victoria’s Secret model spent years strutting her stuff at fashion shows around the world, and even though she no longer works the runways she still knows how to capture the room.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It would be easy to pigeonhole the former swimwear model, but Němcová speaks five languages (Czech, Slovak, Polish, English, French and Italian) and is better known for her humanitarian work than her career in fashion. After losing her fiancé in the 2004 boxing day tsunami, she has devoted her life to raising funds for disaster stricken communities.
Over a decade later, her charity, the Happy Hearts Fund, counts some of the world’s biggest brands as supporters, operating across 10 countries and responsible for building 165 schools. Get Němcová on the subject of travel and she’s effusive, even philosophical.
‘Travel is so important for the future of humanity,’ says Němcová, a Czech who grew up in former Czechoslovakia without the freedom to travel beyond other communist states. ‘Travel transforms you, and when you can transform yourself you can transform the world. It has opened up my heart to the beauty and richness of the world.’
The Happy Hearts Fund was created to keep supporting communities even after the news cameras disappeared. ‘It can take up to four years to rebuild a school following a disaster. When this happens a generation loses out on their education.’ So far the Happy Hearts Fund has helped get over 100,000 children back in the classroom.
Her work demands a lot of time on the road (Němcová visits at least two countries every week) but her career in fashion prepared her for a peripatetic lifestyle of hotel rooms, night flights and downtime snatched between appointments. You’d think it would be hard for the well-travelled humanitarian to pick a favourite destination, but she’s straight in before Culture Trip has even finished the question.
‘Haiti,’ says Němcová, who once dated the Caribbean country’s former prime minister Laurent Lamothe and spent two years living in Port-au-Prince. ‘It’s known for being poor and disaster-stricken but there’s also so much joy, art and music. In one moment you can experience so many emotions that make you feel alive.’
Following the 2010 Haiti earthquake, the Happy Hearts Fund helped to rebuild what the Minister of Education at the time, Joel Jean-Pierre, called ‘the total collapse of the Haitian education system.’ The charity built thirteen schools with twelve computer labs (it counts Microsoft as one of its donors).
Along with Haiti in the Caribbean, Cusco in the Peruvian Andes is another of Němcová’s favourite destinations. ‘I love that you can feel the presence of history in such a powerful yet subtle way,’ she says.
‘The markets in Cusco are incredible and you can buy these little potions to bring you love and money,’ she says, laughing a little when Culture Trip asks if she’s tested the potions herself. ‘No, but I have bought them for friends and family!’
In Cusco, high above even Machu Picchu in the Peruvian Andes, life is tough. ‘The community live on potatoes and herbs,’ says Němcová, ‘but their artisanal work is incredible, a total explosion of colour.’ Following the 2007 earthquake and the floods of 2012 and 2013, the Happy Hearts Fund has rebuilt ten schools with nine computer labs in Peru.
Not just well-heeled but extremely well-travelled, it comes as a surprise to Culture Trip that The B is Němcová’s first time on a cruise ship. She joins us with her trusted Tumi suitcase tucked away in the corner. ‘I live in my luggage, it’s my little home on wheels. It has to be sturdy because it gets abused, but after 17 years it hasn’t let me down yet!’
Němcová is on board as The B’s guardian angel, joining a group of American influencers on the ship’s maiden four-day sail along the Seine. ‘The whole design is so fresh and I love the full length mirrors and many other practicalities for ladies.’
Looking up at the Eiffel Tower, the tip of which peaks out from behind a row of apartment buildings, Němcová reflects on her own time in the French capital. ‘Paris holds a special place in my heart, I even lived here for a few years,’ she says. ‘My career really kicked off in France. After spending a year in Milan it was at Cannes Film Festival where something special happened to me.’
After a long and successful career in modelling which has seen her work for the likes of Benetton, Bulgari and Cartier, Němcová is no stranger to the high life. ‘With U by Uniworld you get to explore different cities in comfort,’ she says. ‘Once people see The B there’s no question they’ll want to be here, it’s in a category of its own.’
A sentiment that could also describe the former model who defies stereotypes and transforms disaster-stricken communities, one school at a time. Travel from London to Paris by Eurostar (www.eurostar.com) costs from £58 per person.
You might also be interested in: Meet the Woman Trying to Conquer the Arctic.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.