The Concorde metro leaves its commuters totally awe-struck, as its walls are plastered with an enormous crossword puzzle. Not only is it very visually striking, but it also carries a serious philosophical message. Since you only have to two minutes to marvel before the metro arrives, we’ve taken the time to decrypt its hidden message for you.
Concorde is a station on lines 1, 8 and 12 of the Paris Métro right in central Paris, the 1st arrondissement. The station was opened on 13 August 1900, and has been leaving its travellers awe-struck ever since 1989. This was the year that its highly original décor was conceived by artist Françoise Schein.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Not only did she cover the entire station’s walls and ceilings with letters, but she sowed curiosity into the traditionally monotonous commute. This sense of curiosity is particularly ignited by the fact that the artist has put no spaces between the words and no punctuation, making you really work hard mentally to decrypt the spelling.
These weren’t just any letters chosen at random, however. The tiles spell the Déclaration des Droits de l’Homme et du Citoyen of 1789 (human rights declaration). This means the metro designers are trying to subtly share a serious message, admittedly, inflicting quite an intellectual reflection onto the daily commuters.
Of course, you don’t really get the chance to be illuminated by the wisdom encrypted in the tiles, as each metro usually takes only a couple of minutes to arrive. But if you can spare a slightly longer commute to marvel at the walls, then you’ll stumble across some very wise words.
One of the most striking sentences that will stay with you long after the metro train has deposited you at your destination relates to the corruption of contemporary society.
There’s a line that reads: “l’ignorance, l’oubli ou le mépris des droits de l’homme sont les seules causes de malheurs publics et de la corruption des gouvernements.” When translated into English, this spells a very poignant reflection: “Ignorance, forgetfulness or contempt for human rights are the only causes of public misfortune and corruption of governments.”
This line is so important to remember, because it insists on how the rights of humans should be kept universal. That is to say, they should be valid at all times and in every place, never forgotten or overlooked.
It’s reinforced by later lines that can be decrypted after plenty of squinting, such as the following: “Toute Société dans laquelle la garantie des Droits n’est pas assurée, ni la séparation des Pouvoirs déterminée, n’a point de Constitution.” Translated into English, this means: “Every society in which the guarantee of rights is not assured, nor the separation of powers determined, has no constitution.”
By including these pearls of wisdom in the metro design, the artist wants us to remember that everything that is seen to be going wrong in this world – such as war – pertains to the corruption at the highest levels of power, as they overlook the fundamental human rights of those below them.
The document has inspired laws and governmental constitutions, and continues to have a major impact on the development of freedom and democracy across Europe. The surprise of seeing such important wisdom scattered across the walls of a metro has even inspired artists and poets too. For example, Ezra Pound’s famous Imagist poem, “In a Station of the Metro”, was inspired directly by this station.
The very fact that the words from this vital document have been aligned onto the wall of a very busy metro station suggests that the world needs reminding about human rights. It also suggests that if we can make time to take greater interest in the lives of those less fortunate than ourselves, even if just for five minutes during a morning commute, then the world would probably be a much better place.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.