Paris’ 17th arrondissement is probably one of the least known districts of the city. Along with the neighboring 16th and 8th arrondissements, the three form one of Paris’ most affluent and prestigious residential areas. Notorious for its breathtaking architecture; the 17th is the place to be if you’re looking for the exquisitely authentic Haussmannien Paris.
Start your expedition at rue des Batignolles, a main street full of alternative clothing brands, quaint little cafés and other charming neighborhood boutiques. Move on to the rue des Dames, rue Lemercier and rue Nollet, and get lost in these delightful little streets brimming with local vibe.
La Cité des Fleurs, holds a great deal of history. Built in 1847, this 320 meter-long street is embellished by the timeless houses, hôtels particulers, the mandatory greenery and three circular plots. House no. 25 is known for having sheltered the French Résistance network, Plutus, during World War II – later discovered and dismantled by the Gestapo in 1944.
Walk down Avenue de Wagram
Avenue Wagram is one of the eight grandiose avenues that drift away from the Arc de Triomphe. Imposing and elegant, it’s perfect for a nice stroll into Paris’ quieter, residential areas. Officially built in 1789, this area of the city became a center of ‘Parisian life’; one of the most famous dance halls of the time, Le Bal de Dourlans (today salle Wagram), was until the second half of the 20th century, a reference for high-end Parisian nightlife, performance, dance and sports.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you walk to building no. 39, you will be able to see the official entrance of what once had been Le Bal de Dourlans – nowadays transformed into a modern, luxury hotel. And, right in front of no. 34, you will find the extraordinary Céramic Hotel; a hôtel particulier, built in 1904 by the famous Art Nouveau architect, Jules Lavirotte. The facade of this hotel is classified as a historic monument and 20th century architectural heritage. The outstanding architecture will make the perfect scenery for your souvenir photos.
Go to the Cinema des Cinéastes
An old 19th century cabaret, transformed into a movie theatre in the 1930s, the Cinema des Cinéastes is today classified as an important cultural cinematography center. A highly dynamic and engaged institution, their line-up is diverse and ever-changing; it consists of film festivals, round tables, retrospectives, debates, screenings and film previews. The main goal of the Cinema des Cinéastes today is to welcome and promote European and international art-house films, allowing space for cinephiles and professionals.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.