Sometimes the hassle of queues and hustle of city life just gets too much, and we need some quality alone time. Whether you’re an introvert by nature or just feel like escaping the crowds for an hour or so, here’s our pick of some of the top places in Paris to enjoy being an introvert.
For the bookworm
This incredible bookstore has been welcoming “tumbleweeds” (bohemian poets and writers) for decades, making it the perfect spot for the book-loving introvert to ponder. There are armchairs and benches with soft-seating throughout the bookstore, actively inviting you to pick up a book and sit down in solitary literary heaven.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There’s a resident cat mooching around in case you get lonely, often with the sound of someone playing the live piano in the background, and a host of evenings workshops, readings and author talks to keep you busy until late.
For the nature lover
After you’ve enjoyed reading a few books in Shakespeare and Company, and feel like you need a breath of fresh air, then if you turn just around the corner you’ll step into a small and secluded hidden green park. It’s a great spot to stare in wonder at the Notre Dame Cathedral, without the hassle of busy crowds or queues.
You can hide beneath the shade of the trees, lounge on the grass or sit by the monument in the middle or on the stone steps – there are plenty of secluded corners to explore. Usually, there’s free public wifi on offer here too.
For the coffee lover
Onze Bar is an incredibly quirky bar set in the 11th district of Paris, whose oddly mis-matched and multicoloured interior design is perfect for those introverted souls who just feel out of place in mainstream spaces. Expect to find strange objects hanging from the walls like handbags, random chandeliers and huge ornate mirrors, as well as enormous theatrical-like furniture to sink into as you sip your drink – unique and mismatched.
With invigorating alcoholic cocktails that start at just €6, creamy hot chocolate at €3.50, and espresso at an incredible €1, price-wise you can’t complain either.
For the food lover
Le Caminito Cabaret is a quirky space whose vibrant colours and charm make eating lunch or dinner alone as an introvert seem much less drab. It’s a down to earth place with no pretensions and an impressive selection of fresh food and drink on offer. What’s more is that the canteen set-up is brought to life by upbeat live music and ambience, all for a relatively cheap price tag. They have two chefs who are cousins and eager to cook traditional French foods as well as burgers and world food. There’ll be no strange glances cast if you decide to come here alone.
For the history lover
Les Arènes de Lutèce is an ancient Roman arena hidden in the 5th Arrondissement of Paris, and is a great way to get immersed in the history of Paris without the hassle of huge queues at museums. In many ways, you get immersed even deeper. Once hosting epic gladiatorial combats before a 15,000 strong audience, the arena is now half-concealed by a few modern apartment buildings, meaning that it’s a quiet space away from the crowds (perfect for an introvert).
There are very few traces of the Gallo-Roman era in Paris besides this and what remains of the thermal baths at Musée de Cluny, making it a unique must-see that most people don’t know about.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.