The vibrant French city of Nantes offers a wealth of enjoyable experiences for those traveling on a budget. If you’re looking to make the most of your visit without breaking the bank, here’s a fresh round-up of the top free things to do during your stay:
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visit the Château des Ducs de Bretagne
The Château of the Dukes of Brittany is Nantes’ main attraction and a quite incredible historical landmark. Happily, entrance to the courtyard, rampart walk, and moat gardens are free of charge. On the first Sunday of every month (except in July and August, and during major events) you can visit the museum and the temporary exhibitions for free, too. It is a must-see if you are in Nantes, so make it a priority on your agenda.
Check out the Place Royale
In most cities in France there is a must-see square, and in Nantes, this is the Place Royale in the heart of the historic center. In its middle is an attractive fountain that portrays the city itself in white marble, the Loire River, and other symbols of industry and trade.
Explore the Jardin des Plantes
This 19th-century park and botanical garden is a real delight. You can explore the two exhibition greenhouses free of charge. The plant sculptures are definitely a highlight, and there are frequent exhibitions and installations throughout the year.
Visit the Parc de Procé
If you’re visiting Nantes in the warmer months, you’re going to need some green spaces to cool off in between bouts of sightseeing. Parc de Procé is a lovely, vast park in the north section of Nantes, about half an hour’s walk from the historic center. There’s an attractive café in a manor house for refreshments, too.
Window shop in the Passage Pommeraye
This is a stunning 1840s shopping mall that is a pleasure to wander around, even if you don’t spend any money. It gets pretty busy, so to enjoy the ornate architecture at its best, make it a morning stop before the shoppers descend.
See the Cathedrale de Saint-Pierre et Saint-Paul
After the Château des Ducs de Bretagne, Nantes’ cathedral is the city landmark not to be missed. It towers majestically over the rest of the city and is equally as impressive on the outside as it is inside. Construction of the cathedral took over 450 years, and was completed in 1891. Inside, you’ll discover the renaissance-style tomb of the parents of Anne of Brittany, who was Duchess of Brittany and twice Queen of France.
Take a trip to Trentemoult
Trentemoult is an ancient fishing village on the banks of the Loire River, just a stone’s throw southwest of the city center. It is a maze of colorful, traditional houses and cool street art. It’s a desirable area and a popular part of the city for wealthy artists and families to settle in.
Visit the Japanese Garden
To the north of the city center is this four-acre (1.7-hectare) artificial island, which was created in 1831 when the river was cleaned during the development of the canal from Nantes to Brest. It was turned into a Japanese-style garden in 1983 and is a real oasis and tranquil space in Nantes. Entrance is free.
Catch your reflection in the Miroir d’Eau
The Miroir d’Eau is a beautiful spot by the Château des Ducs de Bretagne, especially in summertime and at certain points of the day when the air is clear.
See the Grue Titan
Follow the green tourist line from the mechanical museum to the Banana Hangar and walk along the river bank to explore a bit of the city’s shipping and maritime heritage. The two original cranes, one yellow, one grey, are incredibly imposing structures sitting alongside the modern versions.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.