After a long day spent on the slopes, you need something special to replenish your energy. With our guide, you’ll discover 10 of the most interesting restaurants in Val d’Isere, one of the most beautiful regions of France.
Decorated with ‘white enamel milk churns, exposed zinc pipework, antique tiling and dairy-styled fittings and furnishings’, La Fruitiere is part of La Folie Douce ski resort. Head chef Franck Mischler invites the customer to sample the rich, regional Savoyard delicacies that are just the ticket after a day on the slopes. Of course, this is France, so you will also find more cheese than you can shake a stick at as well as a fantastic selection of wine to go along with your tartiflette.
La Folie Douce, La Daille, Val-d’Isère, France, +33 4 79 06 07 17
La Grande Ourse
Located in a famous white chalet erected in 1936, La Grande Ourse, the ‘Great Bear’ in English, roars loudly enough to be heard over the other restaurants which dot the popular mountainside. Inside is just as unique, with a warm interior and sculptures by Fautrier to greet you after a day on the piste. This is not your rough-and-ready refuge however, La Grande Ourse boasts a well-stocked wine cellar for every palate and budget, whether you’re skiing in the winter break from University or taking a well-needed holiday from your high-flying career.
La Grande Ourse, Rue Des Lessieres, Val-d’Isère, France, +33 4 79 06 00 19
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
La Peau de Vache
Unforgettable views are paired with unforgettable burgers here at La Peau de Vache, literally ‘cowskin’. All the favorites are on the menu, with standard skiing fare of potatoes and cheese in various guises. The real draw here are the burgers, of which they provide almost every type under the sun, from duck to vegetarian. The prices are more than reasonable when compared to elsewhere in the Val d’Isere bubble. This makes La Peau de Vache the perfect place to go with a group of friends when you need to watch the cents but still wish to enjoy good food with an excellent view.
La Peau de Vache, Chalet Blanche Neige, Val-d’Isère, France, +33 4 79 06 11 29
Housed in a beautiful stone and wood chalet and accompanied by a terrace offering stunning views, L’Edelweiss is an extraordinary addition to the restaurants on the mountain and is no wallflower when compared to the competition. This restaurant has been highly reviewed, with The Daily Telegraph urging you to try their hot dogs with local sausages, either beside the roaring fire or on the spectacular terrace.
L’Edelweiss, Immeuble Iseran 2000, Val-d’Isère, France +33 9 61 07 80 96
This tiny terrace is without a website of its own, but don’t let that put you off. Found on the Solaise side of the resort, at the bottom of the Madeleine piste, this outdoor restaurant and bar is the perfect place to relax when it’s a little warmer and sunnier on the mountain and you don’t feel the need to hide away next to the fire. Due to its immense popularity and aforementioned stunning views, it’s worth arriving well before the lunch hour rush in order to secure a table. L’Ouillette serves standard skiing fare, as well as an enormous variety of cheese.
L’Ouillette, Immeuble Telepherique Solaise, Val d’Isere, France
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.