The southeastern coast of France is famed for its glamorous resorts, ancient ruins and superyacht-strewn ports. Go beyond Nice, Cannes and Marseille and explore new quaint streets and sparkling Mediterranean views that have inspired countless artists with these five lesser-known locations along the French Riviera.
Set sail for these postcard-perfect towns by hiring a boat for the day though SamBoat. Alternatively, Dream Yacht Charter offers week-long sailing holidays along the Côte d’Azur.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Although just a short train ride away from Nice, Cagnes-Sur-Mer is much more than a convenient location. Venture up the steep hill to the medieval village surrounding the Château Musée Grimaldi in Haut-de-Cagnes and you’ll pass through clusters of charming houses and cobbled streets. The castle was built around 1300, and in 1946 it was restored into a museum. Now, the gallery showcases an olive tree museum, a collection of Suzy Solidor portraits and temporary contemporary art exhibitions. Afterwards, stop in one of the many restaurants that overlook the city below. A museum dedicated to the life and artwork of Auguste Renoir, one of the many artists inspired by the Côte d’Azur, is located in the house built for his family in 1908. Here, he painted renowned landscapes, portraits, nudes and still lifes that give a hint of life in Cagnes-Sur-Mer over a century ago.
In the centre of Antibes, narrow, cobbled streets follow lines of colourful houses with picturesque shuttered windows. Pablo Picasso spent July to December of 1946 working in a 14th-century seaside château in Antibes, which now houses a collection of his works. The town comes to life with daily markets selling food, produce, handcrafted goods and clothing. On the outskirts of town sits Fort Carré, a 16th-century, star-shaped fort. Take a guided tour and explore the protected park surrounding the fort where Napoleon Bonaparte was briefly imprisoned. The fort is also famous for starring as an evil villain’s lair on the big screen – can you guess which film? Hint: it stars a man who takes his martinis shaken, not stirred.
Whether you plan to moor your yacht and hit up the casino or lounge on the beach and people watch, Monaco is a must-see stop along the Côte d’Azur. Located within the borders of France, it is the second smallest country in the world – only Vatican City is smaller. Monte Carlo, the glamorous capital, is known for its shining skyscrapers, its casino and the annual Formula One Grand Prix. Take in the beautiful coastline while you walk along the promenade past extravagant yachts. Visit one of Monaco’s many gardens, like the Exotic Gardens, which holds several million species of succulent plants, or the Zen-like Japanese Garden.
Indulge your historical side with the excellent collection of ancient ruins in Fréjus. A Fréjus Pass will give you admission to four historic sites, and the pass is valid for a week. These include the impressive Roman amphitheatre and a 700-year-old cathedral with its uniquely decorated cloister. Take a break from all of the history with a walk around the charming centre of town where restaurants range from the Moroccan La Rose de Sables to the traditional Autres Ray’Son.
A corniche is a road on the side of a mountain. There are three between Nice and Monaco: the Grande Corniche, the Moyenne Corniche and the Basse or Inférieure Corniche. On three separate levels, each corniche offers its own majestic view of the Mediterranean and the surrounding villas. The Grande Corniche rises up to 550m (1,800ft) above sea level and is the most treacherous of the three to drive, but the views are exceptional on a clear day. The Moyenne Corniche, possibly the most famous of the three, offers several stopping points to enjoy the views, but be sure to visit the medieval hill town Èze, too. The Basse Corniche runs along the waterfront past many famed seaside resorts all the way to Menton near the border of Italy.
Book a Dream Yacht Charter sailing trip along the French Riviera, or reserve a day boat rental through SamBoat from any major French Riviera town – no experience necessary.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.