The island commune of Le Mont-Saint-Michel is situated less than a mile from the coast but cut off from mainland France at high tide, it has been occupied for over 1000 years, being used for both religious and military purposes. Its unique position, beauty, and historic landmarks now attract over 3 million people a year. Here are the best places to dine when visiting the island.
Le Mouton Blanc
This venue and the hotel of which it is a part occupy a building dating back to the 14th century, and the wooden rafters and exposed brick give the place the feel of a Norman inn of days gone by. It certainly isn’t behind the times though, having received an award from Tables & Auberges de France. Le Mouton Blanc (The White Sheep) specializes in cooking its namesake, a relative rarity among the numerous crêperies of Le Mont-Saint-Michel. The roast lamb casserole and rack of lamb in particular are standout dishes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Telephone number: +33 2 33 60 14 08
Although hidden at the back of a souvenir shop, this cozy little crêperie is well worth hearing the siren’s call and ascending the 15th-century staircase. With your savory Breton galette (a buckwheat pancake) you can have a host of fillings like cheese, ham, salmon, egg, or vegetables. The sweet crêpes come loaded with your choice of fruit, chocolate, nuts, cream, or caramel. Salads are also served within the pleasant little dining room, as are coffee, wine, and Normandy cider.
Telephone number: +33 2 33 60 08 60
The restaurant of the Hotel Auberge Saint-Pierre, located in the heart of Le Mont-Saint-Michel, offers a varied menu centered around Italian cuisine and seafood dishes. Inside, checkered tablecloths and log fires are enough to make anyone feel at home, but the outside terrace, with stunning views of the bay surrounding the island, is even more enticing. What better place is there to enjoy mussels, fish chowder, frutti di mare pasta, or Brittany lobster than in a chair overlooking the sea?
Telephone number: +33 2 33 60 14 03
Regional specialties, panoramic views of the surrounding area, and sumptuous white decor all combine for a memorable dining experience here at the Hotel Du Guesclin. Three set menus are provided to suit a variety of tastes and budgets. On these menus you can find chicken with Valée d’Auge sauce and salmon fillet with Saint Malo sauce, areas in neighboring Normandy and Brittany respectively. The Far Breton is another local delight, a custard pudding cake filled with prunes and raisins that is Brittany’s signature pastry.
Telephone number: +33 2 33 60 14 10
La Mère Poulard
La Mère Poulard has been operating since 1888, and over the years has accrued a vast number of autographed portraits from past diners. Famous faces like Ernest Hemingway and Yves Saint Laurent now fill the walls, a testament to the quality of the establishment. Aside from its celebrity clientele, La Mère Poulard is also known for its omelettes. They are cooked over an open fire, a technique pioneered by the eponymous Annette Poulard herself.
Telephone number: +33 2 33 89 68 68
Round off your trip with a stay at one of the best hotels near Mont Saint-Michel, bookable with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.