Biarritz is considered by many the jewel of the South Western French coast, and it’s easy to see why. There is something for everyone here, whether you’re a surfing fanatic or a food connoisseur. There is so much going for this bustling Basque town, and the culture and cuisine that seeps in from Spain is a big draw for many. Awash with Michelin starred restaurants, Biarritz is truly a dining destination fit for a King.
Le Clos Basque
This Michelin star restaurant serves up the epitome of Basque dining, with an authentic atmosphere brimming with the flavours of northern Spain and a rustic setting to match. Their menu is wholly Basque, but includes traditional as well as more contemporary dishes. All the ingredients are locally sourced and of the highest quality. Le Clos Basque is very popular so book a table in advance to avoid disappointment.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
For an escape from the more polished side of Biarritz life (though still serving Michelin star quality food), look no further than Le Pim’pi: a small, rustic restaurant where the food is consistently highly rated and always prepared with skill. Choose a dish from their blackboard of daily specials and enjoy the bohemian French atmosphere that exudes from the bare stone walls of this place.
Located right on the edge of Plage du Port Vieux, this little restaurant is the perfect spot for lunch, dinner, or an aperitif at sunset. It’s small and unpretentious but boasts an impressively broad menu. We recommend the Ocean Salade, which combines all the different flavours affiliated with this Aquitaine town.
Tucked away beneath the chateau, sits the restaurant-club Blue Cargo. Set in this stunning location looking out over its own private beach, Blue Cargo is the kind of place you could easily spend your whole day, and maybe into the early hours of the next. If you’re looking for a party vibe, this is the place. Alongside it’s fantastic menu, Blue Cargo also serves up great music and a wonderful atmosphere.
Café du Commerce
If it’s local food you’re after, then make sure you frequent Café du Commerce for lunch or dinner (or both!). Serving everything from Chiperon (small squid) to Axoa (minced veal stew]), and lots of Piments d’Espelette (peppers from Espelette, a local Basque village), you will find that everything on this traditional Basque menu has been sourced from the markets and farms of the region.
If you’re looking for somewhere accessible but away from the well worn tourist trail, try Chez Ospi, a Michelin star restaurant run by two brothers, Fabien and Julien, located in the center of town. This place offers great service, sumptuous food and excellent value for money. The duck foie gras served with peach confit is a particularly delicious choice.
Located in a quiet area of the town, not far from the center, l’Impertinent is a popular haunt for tourists and locals alike and it is easy to see why. This modest, relaxed restaurant is highly acclaimed and has been awarded a Michelin star for it’s outstanding food. Although seafood is the speciality here, everything on the menu is superb and, combined with the fantastic atmosphere, this place is not to be missed.
Biarritz has always been renowned for its seafood, and at Fumoir Marin it is at its best. Begin your evening with one of their original cocktails before tucking in to a dish of your choice from their outstanding menu. For the foodie’s amongst you, I recommend the seafood platter which will not disappoint. The staff are friendly, and keen to help with wine pairing and recommendations. This place is tasteful, both with regard to the interior and the simple, quality food it serves.
Address: Fumoir Marin, 13 Avenue de Verdun, 64200 Biarritz, France +33 5 59 22 09 26
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.