Jean Nouvel, a contemporary French architect with a taste for heights, lights and reflections, is one of the key architectural figures of our century. The architect recently finished one of his masterpieces, the Philharmonie de Paris, opened to the public in January 2015. Here’s a look at the Philharmonie and some other fascinating creations by Nouvel.
This 38-story skyscraper designed by Nouvel is located in Barcelona, Spain. According to the architect, the tower is intended to recall the shape of a geyser rising into the air. The building also takes some of its inspiration from Montserrat, a multi-peaked mountain near Barcelona, and from one of the most representative symbols of Catalan architecture – the Sagrada Familia church by Antoni Gaudí. The striking structure is built with reinforced concrete and covered with a facade of glass with over 4,500 window openings. The glass plates that cover the entire building are a defining element of Nouvel’s style, since the architect is interested in playing with reflective surfaces and light. A distinctive feature of the tower is its nocturnal illumination. It has 4,500 LED devices that enable the generation of multi-color luminous images on its facade. In addition, the outside of the tower has temperature sensors that regulate the opening and closing of the window blinds, reducing the consumption of energy from air conditioning. Torre Agbar is the third tallest building in the city, after the Arts Hotel and the Mapfre Tower.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Arab World Institute
The Arab World Institute is an organization founded in Paris in 1980 by 18 Arab countries and France in order to research and spread information about the Arab world, its cultural and spiritual values. The building of the AWI is as important to architecture as the institution is to global culture and politics. The facade on the side of the River Seine follows the curve of the waterway, offering an inviting view from the Sully Bridge. In contrast to the curved surface on the river side, the south-west facade is a straight rectangular glass-clad curtain wall. Visible behind the glass wall, a metallic screen unfolds with moving geometric motifs. The motifs are made up of 240 photo-sensitive motor-controlled apertures, or shutters, which act as a sophisticated brise soleil that automatically opens and closes to control the amount of light and heat entering the building from the outisde. The mechanism fills interior spaces with filtered light – an effect often used in Islamic architecture with its climate-oriented strategies. This is another building that shows that Nouvel manages to create innovative buildings while paying a tribute to cultural elements.
The Doha Tower is located in Doha, Qatar. Shaped similarly to Torre Agbar, the phallic shape which is meant to symbolize the strength and power of the city prevails again – Nouvel described it as a ‘fully assumed virility’. However, unlike the Catalan building, the Doha Tower has a long thin spire or lightning rod on top of the building. The architecture also reflects the local culture, connecting its modern elements with ancient Islamic designs. Islamic screens were designed to shade the building from high temperatures and the unpleasant sand residue found throughout the region. The tower is an expression of the architect’s lifelong interest in both cultural interpretation and technology, and has been praised by the CTBUH for its pursuit of local significance in the face of globalization. The building is designed to host offices for businesses wishing to operate in the diverse business district of West Bay. In 2012, the building received the CTBUH Skyscraper Award for the Best Tall Building Worldwide.
Philharmonie de Paris
The Philharmonie de Paris is a cultural institution in Paris, France, which offers different spaces all dedicated to music. The central part of the institution, the symphonic concert hall, was designed by Nouvel and opened to the public in January 2015. This is a mineral building with unconventional lines, rising up like a hill within the Parc de la Villette. The aluminium swirls wrapped around the concert hall contrast with the rest of its matte exterior. The exterior facade covering is composed of 340,000 birds made in four shades – ranging from light grey to black – that are intended to symbolize a grand take-off. The rooftop of the concert hall will soon be open to the public offering views of the surrounding areas from the height of 37 meters. Both the exterior and the interior of the building are innovative. Inside, the auditorium contains 2400 seats which are distributed between the parterre, behind the stage and on floating balconies around the central stage. The hall’s enveloping configuration is designed to immerse the spectators in the music: its walls are composed of moving panels designed to redirect the sound in multiple directions. Nouvel’s building clearly serves its purpose, paying homage to the musical arts.
Lucerne Culture and Congress Centre
Built in 1998, LCCG is another magnificent building by Nouvel located in Lucerne, Switzerland. This is a multi-functional building which hosts a concert hall that is appreciated for its excellent acoustics. The center is built on Lake Lucerne Vierwaldstättersee and its construction complements the lake with its horizontal shapes and water-like fluidity. The construction of the center was a major challenge because of the overhang that reaches 45 meters on the diagonal level, with a height of 21 meters. Faced with the impossibility of building the center on water, Nouvel decided to bring the lake closer to the building by creating two low-depth channels that operate within the complex. The water was channeled into the three different parts of the building at the same level as the Plaza Europa. This building, once again, shows the architect’s ability to connect his innovative designs to the more traditional elements of landscape and culture that surround his buildings.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.