Nice is one of the few cities in France that has beautiful beaches right on its doorstep. In fact, it has four miles of them, stretching as far as the eye can see. Before you head off with your towel and sunscreen though, it’s worth knowing what’s on offer. Whatever your choice, this guide will help you find the perfect beach for your needs.
The main decision you need to make is if you want to go public or private. The public beaches are obviously free of charge and they let you get closer to a more natural beach experience, lying on the rocks surrounded by locals. However, they can get supremely crowded and are a goldmine for thieves in the summer. The private beaches are more central, often attached to the main hotels, and offer lockers and showers to make your experience a little more exclusive.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ready to hit the beach? Our eight-day trip island-hopping around Greece is perfect for exploring the Cyclades, while our eight-day Croatia trip takes you down the Dalmatian Coast. You might also like our premium small-group Sailing Trips – you can explore the high seas from a fully crewed and catered catamaran.
La Reserve (public beach)
This is a great little public beach, close to the center of Nice, full of locals and fearless teenagers who use the old diving board to somersault into the water (even though it is technically not allowed). There are no real snack/eating options so take a picnic with you from the local markets to eat while you watch them dive in. It is small so it can get crowded but it’s a real local gem.
Coco Beach (public beach)
Coco Beach is similar to La Reserve in that it is public, small and very popular with locals. It’s a little bit further along from La Reserve but it does have showers and one restaurant (closed Sunday) although you might prefer to take a picnic. Like many of the beaches along this part of the coast, it’s often better to stretch a towel out on a big rock (if there’s one free) to escape the hordes of people. In the summer months, there is a lifeguard but always take care, as the currents can be quite strong and the water very deep. Sometimes you can get lucky and have the place practically to yourself, listening to the current and gazing at the perfectly clear waters.
Villefranche-sur-mer (public beach)
This is technically the next town along to Nice but it’s an easy 15-minute bus ride along the coast. It has very small, fine pebbles (closer to sand) and is probably the most popular of the public beaches. It offers a good choice in restaurants and ice cream kiosks just on the other side of the road.
Castel Plage (private beach)
Castel Beach is considered by many to be the best private beach in Nice. It’s at the end of them all, tucked under the headland and away from the hustle and bustle. The loungers are comfortable, the food is great, the service is generally considered good — which isn’t true of every other beach restaurant in Nice — and the clientele calm. It’s a little oasis.
Ruhl Plage (private beach)
Ruhl Beach is definitely the pick for families as it has its own swimming pool beside the sea complete with its own lifeguard, so parents can relax on their loungers in relative comfort. It’s directly in front of the Ruhl Casino and Le Méridien Hotel and is one of the oldest beaches, established in the 1920s. As with all the private beaches, it has waiter service, showers, lockers and a beachfront restaurant.
Looking for travel inspiration for your next getaway? Browse our collections of Epic Trips andMini Tripsto find your next exciting destination.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.