The world’s first high-altitude cable car roof terrace is now open in Tignes, France, offering breathtaking panoramic views.
The cable car is in operation for the winter season from now until May 1, 2019, to transport skiers and snowboarders. It then reopens along with the roof terrace for the summer season, which runs from mid-June until the end of August, allowing summer hikers and bikers to discover the beauty of the Tignes-Champagny nature reserve.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Where is the world’s first high-altitude cable car roof terrace?
Tucked away in the French Alps near the Italian border, Tignes is one of the most popular ski areas in France. It’s also one of the most beautiful, and a bird’s eye view of this rugged landscape is long overdue.
This exciting new attraction starts at the Tignes funicular station at a height of 2,100 metres. The cable cars lead to the Grande Motte Glacier, which is perched at an altitude of 3,032 metres. From the open roof terrace, gaze out across the picturesque Grande Motte Glacier, the gateway to the Vanoise National Park.
The main summer attraction of the area has always been glacier skiing. However, this activity is threatened by climate change, shortening the summer ski season and causing glacial retreat. It is hoped that the new cable car and roof terrace will inspire more hikers to visit Tignes in the summer and to appreciate the scope of beauty the Vanoise national park has to offer.
The views from these cabins are stunning
The new cable car’s two open-top cabins will invite lucky guests to admire a unique 360-degree view of one of the most beautiful scenes of the French Alps. The cabins command unrivalled views of the famous Mont Blanc, the Cime de Bellecôte and the Aiguille de la Grande Sassière, which rises up to a majestic height of 3,747 metres.
The tramway is a technological innovation
The new Tignes aerial tramway demonstrates the impressive technological progress associated with the latest generation of ski facilities.
It was designed in Switzerland by Garaventa AG and is equipped with state-of-the-art comfort and safety technologies. The new cable car is part of a global investment project called Altitude Experiences whose budget for ski projects is up to €17 million.
Whilst there are other cable cars with roof terraces, this one is unique as it is the largest high altitude version. It was designed in such a way that it can withstand the weather at a height of over 3,000 metres, which is an unprecedented first.
There is also an emphasis on architectural modesty and discretion in the design of the cable car, as the attraction blends in perfectly with its surroundings in order to not spoil the natural beauty of the area.
How can I visit this attraction?
Due to extreme temperatures and heavy snowfall at over 3,000 metres, the roof terrace itself will be closed in winter. However, it will be open from mid-June until the end of August 2019.
The attraction is accessible to the general public, including people with disabilities. You can purchase a one-day ski pass from €25 per adult or €20 per child. The return foot-passenger ticket, which includes the funicular and cable car, starts at €11 per adult and €6 per child.
As well as simply sitting back to enjoy the views, the attraction aims to be educational too. There will be materials for information about the unique environment and ecosystem inside the Vanoise national park and Tignes-Champagny nature reserve in the Alps.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.