Aix-en-Provence has some lovely walking trails, both in the town centre as well as out in the beautiful countryside. Here are five of the best.
Aix-en-Provence was Paul Cézanne‘s hometown and it celebrates his life and work in a number of places. The Town Hall (“mairie”) has created a trail with a map to guide you through them. Start at the statue of Cézanne at the main roundabout in town, La Rotonde, and follow the route to end at his studio. It’s a lovely walk around a beautiful town, taking in the Musée Granet where he painted (and where you can find a lot of his work), the huge cathedral and his school. The walk will take a comfortable couple of hours – half a day if you stop at each of the places en route.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Val de l’Arc River Walk
This walk heads south out of Aix-en-Provence and ends with some swimming, either in the local pool (open July to September) or in the river. It’s an ideal summer route when you need to be near water to feel fresh and cool. Start on the Rue d’Italie, which is the specialist food shopping street. You can buy your cold meats, stuffed peppers, jams, baguettes, ripe cheese and a bottle of wine or fresh fruit juice for a delicious picnic at the end.
Follow the map down through the Cours Gambetta, Avenue Saint-Jerôme and Avenue des Infermeries. Follow the river past the Sports Complex (which is where you’ll find the outdoor swimming pool, where you can relax on the grass) or head to the wonderful park, which kids will love. Locals swim in the river. A great place to cool off on a summer’s day.
La Torse River Walk
If you head north out of the town, you’ll reach the River Torse, which runs its way around the city from north to south. It’s a beautiful place to while away an hour or the whole day, particularly with sporty kids. After taking in the Cimetière Saint-Pierre where Cézanne is buried, cut across the Georges Carcassonne Stadium, where you can run around the track or practise your goal-scoring abilities in the public nets (football and basketball) or play tennis.
At the easterly side of the track, head down the ramp or the path to the field by the river and continue to follow it southwards. You can feed ducks, take time out in the only playground that has swings in Aix-en-Provence, or have a picnic. Follow the River Torse back round to the main road and either head up the Cours Gambetta back into town, or try out the pool at Piscine de l’ Oliveraie. It costs about €10 and has sun loungers and a small café that serves drinks (and food around lunchtime). A wonderful way to cool down after a summer’s day in the city park.
If you head out of Aix-en-Provence towards the small village of Le Tholonet, you can stop for something to eat at one of the lovely outdoor restaurants. After lunch, continue up the D17 (Route Cézanne) and park at the Maison de Sainte-Victoire (you can eat lunch here too). There are some donkeys and small animals here that kids will love, before you head down to the river to fly kites or play Pooh Sticks in the shallow water. Great for little kids.
View this post on Instagram
#donkey #saintantoninsurbayon #maisondesaintevictoire #tholonet #aixenprovence #ohprovence #france #igersfrance #bd_france #jaimelafrance #bns_france #dailyfrance #super_france #loves_france_ #expogallery #photoarena #fotografiaunited #tv_travel #ig_cameras_united #princely_shotz #at_diff #ig_4every1 #merveillesdefrance #provenceaixperience
The Sainte-Victoire Trail
This is the big trail outside of Aix-en-Provence, where you can hike up to the cross on top of the Sainte-Victoire mountain. It’s beautiful countryside, where Cézanne used to paint. There are a number of trails you can take around the mountain (be warned, there are easy and difficult paths) starting in Le Tholonet or Saint-Antonin-sur-Bayon (for a shorter route). There are a few things to see on your route – the Saint-Victoire Priory and the Bimont Dam are spectacular. The order you see them obviously depends on which route you decide to take. Remember to take water and sun protection; it can be scorching in summer.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.