Apremont-sur-Allier, one of the ‘most beautiful villages in France’, was particularly prosperous in the Middle Ages when quarry-men transported cut stones for the building of the Orléans Cathedral. Here are the best things to see and do in this quaint village today.
Parc Floral d’Apremont
Parc Floral is the jewel in Apremont-sur-Allier’s crown. It wears the label of Jardin Remarquable by the French Ministry of Culture and Communication and it’s easy to see why. Realised in 1970 by Gilles de Brissac, the garden was created completely from scratch. A waterfall was built with 650 tons of rocks and a series of ponds created that house water lilies, lotuses and more. Interestingly, there are no paths in the park, just lawns, flower beds and sweeping trees. There are pretty views out onto the Allier River and the Chinese bridge and Turkish pavilion add an international touch. Adult tickets are €10 and the garden is open seasonally, from the start of April until the end of September.
Parc Floral d’Apremont, Le Bourg, Apremont-sur-Allier, France, +33 248 775 506
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A glass of wine at La Carpe Frite
Situated right on the banks of the river, with chairs and tables perched right next to the slow moving water, the delightful La Carpe Frite cafe is the perfect place to watch the world go by with a glass of local wine. In June, July and August, this eatery is open every day and even though these are the busiest months, they are undoubtedly the best to while away a few hours at La Carpe Frite.
La Carpe Frite, Le Bourg, Apremont-sur-Allier, France, +33 248 776 472
Located 30 minutes north of Apremont-sur-Allier is the beautiful Abbey Fontmorigny, founded in 1149. It has hosted eight centuries of monastic history (from the Middle Ages to the French Revolution) and today, it hosts exhibitions and is a renowned music festival and wedding venue, among other things. The gardens here are particularity attractive so make sure to visit on a sunny day.
Palais ducal de Nevers
The Gothic Ducal Palace of Nevers is considered one of the Loire‘s first castles. Constructed by the Count of Nevers, John Clamecy, it was home to the Counts and Dukes of Nevers and situated right in the town centre. It is open almost all year round in the mornings and afternoons and houses the town’s tourist office so you can’t miss it. In 1840, it was classified as a Historical Monument and today, it hosts many exhibitions.
Palais ducal de Nevers, 1 Place de l’Hôtel de ville, Nevers, France, +33 386 684 613
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.