Bordeaux has more going for it than just great wine. Fabulous restaurants, stunning architecture and sublime museums are all essential elements of a visit to remember – as is an afternoon spent in a fabulous spa. Bordeaux has no shortage of them, and some of the finest are in hotels. So, get ready to check in and unwind – here are the best spa hotels in Bordeaux, France, bookable on Culture Trip.
The setting is one-of-a-kind, inside Bordeaux’s former Institute of Zoology. It’s an opulent pile with a discreet courtyard garden, a swish oyster bar and trendy rooms, all botanical prints and exposed stone. But among the perks, which include a rooftop sun trap with loungers, is the first-rate, ultra-stylish spa: frothing hot tubs, a steamy hammam, decadent massages and a dedicated al fresco spa terrace lined in plush tropical greenery. You’ve got everything you need right here for a shoulder-slouching afternoon of pampering.
When you stay at La Belle Endormie, you’ll be able to idle away mornings strolling around Bordeaux’s photogenic botanical garden, a lush oasis on your doorstep. But that’s not the only benefit of a stay. When you book a stylish, contemporary room – all marble tables, parquet floors and cosy armchairs – you can also take advantage of the boutiquey spa, complete with an infrared sauna and a Balinese-inspired patio. Book in for a one-hour Mandala Chill massage, and you’ll emerge so relaxed you’ll forget you’re in the heart of a busy city.
You’ll get only the finest when you book into Villas Foch, a refined, luxurious hotel a short walk from the banks of the Garonne. It pulls out all the stops with immaculate bedrooms – panelled and parqueted, with accents of crisp white and gold – as well as its photogenic spiral staircases and an atmospheric bar, serving up (as you might expect) some of the region’s fine wines. A cave-like indoor pool space feels tranquil and secret, while the aromatic vapours of the sauna revive you after a day of exploring.
Bordeaux isn’t only about wine – and this resort, to the north of the city centre, really proves it, with its focus on all things golf. After you’ve swung those clubs around the two rolling courses that circle the hotel, sporting muscles will be ready for a soothing spell at the spa. Take a dip in the pool, lined in windows that let daylight spill in, then settle in for a bioenergetic detox massage, which oxygenates your body and makes you feel on top of the world.
What’s better than a pampering session in an elaborate spa? One that fully immerses you in nature. At Domaine de Raba, in the south of Bordeaux, treatments take place in a cosy wood cabin or open-air waterside pavilion positioned amid rolling parkland, so you can enjoy a body scrub to the sound of wild ducks splashing in a lake. There’s an indoor pool available for dips, whatever the weather, and a fabulous hotel restaurant in which to feast on salads or ceviche after your treatment.
Browse other classy stays by seeing the best luxury hotels in Bordeaux, bookable through Culture Trip. Get around the city using this guide to navigating Bordeaux, then tick all of the best things to do off of your itinerary. Expand your culinary horizons with the best vegetarian and vegan eateries in Bordeaux. Looking for more plush hotels? Check out our guide to the best boutique hotels in Bordeaux, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.