From exuberant elegance to classic French chic, these are the best luxury hotels to stay at in Bordeaux, France – all bookable on Culture Trip.
The great thing about a weekend in Bordeaux is the flexibility of accommodation in the city. You can choose to stay in style right at the heart of things or base yourself in the countryside conveniently close to town. We’ve scoured around to find you the finest urban pads – handy for all the major sights – as well as some corkingly luxurious check-ins in the rustic landscapes beyond.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Occupying a grand 19th-century house complete with an eye-catching turret, five-star Yndō has just 12 rooms, each individually decorated and oozing cool. All rooms are equipped with a flat-screen TV, iPad and Italian showers, whilst some have balconies too. The guests-only restaurant serves local, seasonal dishes. Breakfast under the magnolia tree in the courtyard before you hop on a hotel bike to explore the Golden Triangle district and beyond.
Once you know how to pronounce Quinconces, you need only know what the name refers to – the staggered tree-planting in the square of the same name. There’s a serenity about this hotel, once the US Consulate, from the flowery courtyard to the spacious, comfortably contemporary rooms, of which there are just nine. The hotel sits between the leafy Public Garden and the river, so galleries, great shopping and the intricately carved 17th-century Notre Dame cathedral are all handily close.
It’s a surprise to find this gracious, 19th-century château so close to the city – but here it is, on a bend in the river just 15 minutes away from Bordeaux by boat or car. Its 10 large luxury rooms radiate character, bestowed with every luxury, overlooking either the gardens or the river. Guests can either eat out on the terrace or in the dining room, but for extra romance book a sunset picnic to enjoy in a traditional carrelet (riverside cabin).
This five-star château is set in the heart of Sauternes country, less than an hour from Bordeaux. Stately rooms exude an understated elegance. Public areas display Lalique glass items and chandeliers. Don’t miss a visit to the cellars for the superb wines – four tasting options include a food-and-wine pairing. Follow with lunch on the terrace if the weather allows and dine in the Michelin-starred Restaurant Lalique beneath a remarkable gold crystal chandelier.
Named for the nearby ruins of a 3rd-century Roman amphitheatre, this five-star beauty sits close to the Basilica of St-Seurin in the Golden Triangle – an easy walk to the major sights. Generously appointed rooms have Italian walk-in showers and suites have free-standing bathtubs or whirlpool tubs out on the terrace. Relax by the pool in the garden or sunbathe on the rooftop. La Table de Montaigne, meanwhile, is a top spot for gastronomic cuisine in Bordeaux
Decorated in shades of navy and plum, the handsome Hôtel Cardinal is splendidly situated near the 11th-century St-André Cathedral, in the heart of Bordeaux. Its 10 suites offer some serious luxury and all but one has a fully equipped kitchen. Two offer a pair of rooms and are just the ticket for families. Afternoon tea is served with patisserie from the hotel’s chocolate shop whilst the cellar here boasts no less than 400 bottles.
This large country house stands in parkland in Talence, 5km (3mi) from downtown Bordeaux, with plenty going on under one roof. The two bars serve cocktails, craft beer and light meals. Les Petits Caprices is open all day for sharing platters, salads, pizzas and international fare, whilst the Marguerite focuses on meat. Rooms have a rustic theme, with safari-style tented lodges that all but brush the forest. There’s also an outdoor spa with a pool as well as a shop and even a small cinema.
Looking for more plush hotels? Check out our guide to the best boutique hotels in Bordeaux, bookable on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.