Grenoble is a nice and characteristic city on the Rhone, at the very feet of the Alps. Despite being so close to the highest mountain range in Europe, Grenoble is mostly flat, so tourists can visit the town’s amenities with ease. The whole town is visible from the Bastille, a medieval fortress, that is now reachable by a fun ride on Les Bulles – the Bubbles – a cable-car service. Oh, and the art galleries and museums are top-notch. Check them out…
Musée de Grenoble
The Musée de Grenoble is home to a number of masterpieces by some of the greatest European artists from the Renaissance to the contemporary age. Visitors can admire paintings by Ingres, Canaletto, Rubens and many others. Huge names of contemporaneity, such as Picasso, Delaunay and one of the most recent acquisitions, Giorgio Morandi, are also a part of the permanent collection, while others find there place during temporary exhibits. There is also a section dedicated to ancient history, and there’s even an Egyptian mummy on display!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Musée de Grenoble, 5 place Lavalette, Grenoble, France, +33 4 76 63 44 44
Galerie Vent des Cimes
Founded in 1966, Galerie Vent des Cimes is set in the heart of Grenoble. A variety of paintings and sculptures in all kind of materials find their place in this contemporary art gallery. It hosts temporary exhibitions of young, upcoming artists as well as more established ones. It’s also easy to keep track of the events in calendar, such as vernissages in the presence of artists, just by visiting the gallery’s Facebook page or website.
Galerie Vent des Cimes, 25 avenue Alsace-Lorraine, Grenoble, France, +33 4 76 46 20 09
More Art Tea
Just by the name of this unique space, it’s immediately clear that More Art Tea gives the concept of art gallery a whole new meaning. Stepping in, visitors will see comfortable armchairs and tables, right next to art pieces, actually made for sitting. This gallery combines two of the greatest pleasures in life: art and tea. People going for a visit can sit down and relax, have a tea, treat themselves to a cupcake and wallow in the creativity. The gallery also offers courses and workshops held by featured artists.
Ka&Nao is all you would expect of a contemporary art gallery: wide spaces, lights, minimalism and, of course, art. Art is everywhere, surrounding visitors and immersing them in displays at every turn. The gallery hosts temporary exhibitions too, featuring all kinds of mediums, from painting to scupture, design to installation.
Ka&Nao, 6 rue Aubert Dubayet, Grenoble, France, +33 6 07 46 12 99
Musée Archeologique Grenoble
For travellers more into ancient history than contemporary art, the MuséeArcheologique Grenoble really is a must! The MAG (as it’s known locally) is set inside the Saint-Laurent Church, right on top of an ancient necropolis on the right bank of the Isère river. Visitors have the extraordinary chance to visit a unique archeological site, discovering part of the history of Christianity and unravelling stories of the city itself. Right below the Carolingian Church, the graves and the crypts are open to the public, putting on display some finely decorated pieces from the Middle Ages.
MAG, Place Saint-Laurent, Grenoble, France, +33 4 76 44 78 68
By Carlotta Bosi
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.