Often referred to as the gastronomic capital of the world, Lyon’s outstanding restaurant scene is celebrated by foodies worldwide. We explore some of the best culinary experiences to be had in the ‘city of flavors’, with our list of must-try Michelin star restaurants.
Paul Bocuse’s Auberge du Pont de Collonges
Located four kilometres North of Lyon, Auberge du Pont de Collonges is a gastronomic icon in this region of France. The restaurant has been awarded three Michelin stars, and Paul Bocuse is regarded as one of the most celebrated chefs in the whole country. The restaurant is housed in a beautiful family house next to the banks of the Saône River, and the interior features a luxurious design decorated with artworks, chandeliers and rich colours. The kitchen offers three set menus of traditional French gastronomy, serving dishes such as succulent lobster salad, St. Jacques walnut shells with white butter blown apples and crayfish in Pouilly-Fuissé.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Auberge de l’Ile Barbe
Auberge de l’Ile Barbe unites history and gastronomy in a unique location that dates back to the 17th century. Also referred to as Auberge de l’Ile, this two Michelin star restaurant is located on an island in the Saône, adding an alluring ambience of exclusivity. The kitchen serves mouthwatering French dishes that fuse culture and flavour, and are inspired by the distinct ingredients available in each season. As their website states, winter’s harsh conditions give the restaurant more room to serve shellfish from the cold seas, game of the forests, poultry fat, and of course foie gras and truffles first. Presentation is a major element of the Auberge de l’Ile experience, and both the plates and the interior offer inspiring aesthetics.
La Mère Brazier
With Head Chef Eugénie Brazier at the helm, the two Michelin star kitchen at La Mère Brazier is renowned for its creative and artistic concoctions. Designed plates focus on merging both traditional and modern gastronomies, so classic favourites can be discovered in new and exciting ways. Guests can enjoy recipes inspired by seasonal ingredients including perfectly cooked beef, fresh fish, foie gras and flavoursome vegetables. The interior of the restaurant has also been praised for its excellence, with beautiful lighting design and a range of ornaments and decorations.
Acclaimed Chef Christian Têtedoie’s restaurant is another great location for all foodie travelers, offering a visceral experience of flavour, design and setting. The multi-storey restaurant presents panoramic views of the city, allowing visitors unique perspectives of the architecture of Lyon. Both the indoor and outdoor dining areas are garnished with contemporary design pieces, adding a vibrant aspect to atmosphere. The kitchen serves innovative dishes founded in French gastronomy, and travellers have raved about their ‘souffle of fromage blanc with sour cherries and pistachio milk’.
La Rotonde was created by Philippe Gauvreau and is a luxurious destination above the Le Lyon Vert casino. The restaurant has been awarded two Michelin stars for its culinary excellence and serves ‘inventive, evolving cuisine’ that is both ‘generous yet elegant with a perfect balance of flavors and colors’; foodie travelers have recommended the the foie-gras salad and steak tartare. The interior design of this fine dining establishment was designed by Alexandra Ellena and features breathtaking centrepieces.
The atmosphere at Restaurant L’Effervescence differs from other Michelin star destinations in Lyon with the restaurant creating a vibrant culinary experience without the excessively luxurious ambience. Instead, rustic stone brick walls peppered with carefully selected art pieces are at the fore, while the tables are purposefully missing the standard white table cloth usually associated with fine dining. Head Chef Christophe Hubert serves ‘market cuisine’, which centres around fresh ingredients and creative flavours, such as haddock, mussels and beet pickles, and duck foie gras emulsion with lemon.
Au 14 Février
Combining two of the most beloved cuisines in the world, restaurant Au 14 Février offers mouthwatering French cuisine with Japanese influences, and the dishes are backed with a commitment to creativity and flavour. One of the signature dishes served is egg froth with mustard sauce presented in an eggshell with potato waffles, and the multiple degustation menus are filled with a list of similarly inventive plates. The restaurant is run by Chef Tsuyoshi Arai, and its name is justified by its romantic ambience and intimate setting.
Les Loges restaurant is located within the stunning Cour des Loges Hotel, a grandiose accommodation that combines architecture styles from the 14th, 16th and 17th centuries. The restaurant sits in the centre of a Florentine courtyard and is sheltered by a contemporary glass and steel ceiling, while the walls are decorated with beautiful artefacts and artworks. Beautiful French cuisine is served here, such as duck foie gras with onions and hélianthis cooked in an orange, codfish from Brittany with seasonal vegetables in ‘Barigoule’ with cinnamon bark and Tonka bean, and milk-fed lamb served with stuffed seasonal vegetables.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.