From exuberant truffled eggs benedict to exquisite chocolate tarts, here are the best places to enjoy breakfast and brunch in Lyon, according to noted food bloggers from Lyon Foodies.
From freshly baked pastries to glorious, Michelin-star tasting menus, Lyon is known globally as France’s gastronomic capital. Clearly, it isn’t hard to get a good meal at any time of the day, and breakfast is no exception.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The breakfasts and brunch options in Lyon hit all the subgenres: there are boozy brunches, light lunches, and indulgent meals. You can dine on truffle-filled dishes on sunny patios overlooking Lyon’s quiet streets, or dig into flaky pastries in the heart of Vieux Lyon.
Who better to guide an early-morning culinary tour of the city than Lyon’s most notable food bloggers? The trio of bloggers behind Lyon Foodies, Virginie, Emi and Aurelie, share their experiences dining through Lyon’s rich culinary scene on their popular Instagram page. Here are their nine recommendations to go for breakfast or brunch in Lyon.
Bartholome, in the first arrondissement, caters particularly well to the brunch crowd. “It’s all about fresh products, colourful dishes, and super quality – and price!” says Lyon Foodies. Plus, Bartholome is in a great spot, as it’s “ideally located in the city centre”. Pancakes are fluffy and stacked high, and french toast is sprinkled with pistachios and homemade whipped cream. Be sure to order the golden latte made with curcuma (turmeric), ginger and cinnamon.
“If you want a healthy (but gourmet) brunch, try Estanco,” says Lyon Foodies. “We’d love to give a special mention to the charcoal bagels and cold-pressed juices.” The café focusses on fresh ingredients with plenty of healthy and nutritious dishes on the menu. The small space is especially adept at vegan and vegetarian fare, like chia bowls and detox soups.
Traboule is described by Lyon Foodies as “a food court a la Lyonnaise.” The Lyon food blog explains that “they start their brunches on Sunday with an all-you-can-eat menu.” Serving poke bowls, caramel rice puddings, falafels, frites de quenelles (a local dish of dumpling fries), beef tartare, and of course the brunch staples of eggs, bacon, and waffles: they have it all. Opening their doors in 2018, Traboule is a perfect spot for an indulgent brunch.
As the name suggests (it translates to ‘lunch’ in French), Le Desjeuneur serves American brunch classics, with a French touch. Nestled in the Croix-Rousse, expect banana pancakes, hot apple cider, granola sprinkled with hazelnuts, and huevos rancheros. All week long expect boozy, languid brunches and friendly servers. This breakfast spot is particularly packed on weekends so be sure to arrive early to avoid disappointment.
With an interior filled with chic minimalist Scandinavian design, Kaova Cafe is a peaceful, pleasant place to dine on a lazy weekend morning. It lacks the vivacious, packed nature of a boozy brunch, but the casual, take-out or dine-in menu shines a light on simple quiches and pastries made with love. Brewed drinks of lattes and espressos are particularly exemplary.
The menu at the cosy and casual Café Anne changes frequently, so repeat visits will always come with surprises and new dishes to try. For €20 (£16.80), diners can dig into plates of salty sausages, eggs, ham, cheese fondant sandwiches, granola, and brioche pulled fresh from the oven. Be sure to order one of their velvety coffees and fresh-pressed juice.
27 Madeleine is particularly popular with a hip younger crowd, who flock to this decadent, Champagne-laden brunch spot every weekend on a quiet street in Victor Bach-St Louis. Try the eggs benedict accompanied with creamy salmon hollandaise, and hard boiled eggs, topped with a spoonful of truffle shavings and served with ham, butter and brioche. Head here when the sun shines as there is a spacious backyard patio fit for larger groups.
A visit to Sur le Bout de la Langue is akin to a masterclass in pastries. They serve beautifully presented tarts, crisp ganache, and, of course, Lyon’s favourite dish of lemony bugnes (a doughnut-like sweet treat). For a main meal, expect breakfast plates of orange juice, homemade bread, tartlets, fresh cheeses, bacon, granola bowls, kiwi and chocolate tarts. The airy outdoor patio is perfect for whiling away a sunny French morning.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.