Simple to complex, classic to modern, the cookbooks dedicated to French cooking are plentiful, with recipes for every taste and cooking level. We list the French cookbooks, both classic selections and new publications, that French food lovers should definitely have in their culinary collection.
Around My French Table
A multi-award winning writer, Dorie Greenspan has produced 1o cookbooks, including her latest, Around My French Table. Experienced and novice cooks will find something of interest to create in their own kitchen. The cookbook features over 300 home-style recipes inspired by Dorie’s love of France, and it includes everything from traditional recipes to those with a creative spin. More than a cookbook, Around My French Table also gives readers a chance to learn about Dorie’s life in Paris, and why she loves it so.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Art of French Pastry
Anyone with a love for French pastries and desserts should definitely have a copy of The Art of French Pastry. Written by Chef Jacquy Pfeiffer, founder of The French Pastry School in Chicago, this cookbook is brimming with 75 recipes, all with clear step-by-step instructions, accompanied by beautiful photos to help guide the way. From classic French pastries to cookies to tarts to savory Alsatian specialties, all fans of French cuisine will find something to tickle their sweet fancy here.
A world-renowned chef who has garnered numerous awards and honors, including the Legion of Honor (France’s highest distinction), Jacques Pépin has been cooking for over 60 years. Known for his characteristic streamlined recipes, Jacques has written 25 cookbooks and created thousands of classic recipes. Featuring over 700 recipes plus a DVD, Essential Pépin is a must-have collection of revisions from his out-of-print cookbooks plus a slew of new dishes that will inspire cooks of any level. The highlights include sausage, potato, and cabbage soup, which is perfect for a winter’s day, and the five-peppercorn steak.
French Roots is a delightful cookbook and memoir by husband-and-wife duo Jean-Pierre Moullé and Denise Lurton Moullé. Jean-Pierre, ex-Chez Panisse executive chef, and Denise Lurton met in Berkeley in 1980, and the rest, as they say, is history. This lovely cookbook chronicles their lives from their native France to their time in California and is peppered with delicious recipes, both French and Californian, that will appeal to anyone with a passion for French cuisine. Beautifully written, the book also features an array of gorgeous photographs.
The Little Paris Kitchen
Television host and food writer Rachel Khoo is the driving force behind The Little Paris Kitchen cookbook, which features ‘120 Simple But Classic French Recipes.’ After moving to Paris to study at Le Cordon Bleu, Rachel became enchanted with the ‘City of Lights’ and made it her home. From ‘Snack Time’ to ‘Aperitifs’ and ‘Dinner with Friends and Family’ to ‘Sweet Treats,’ the charming chapters feature beautiful images to accompany wonderful, easy-to-follow recipes. Highlights from the cookbook include the Puy lentil salad with goat’s cheese, beets, and dill vinaigrette and the decadent citrus fruit cake known as quatre-quarts aux agrumes.
Mastering the Art of French Cooking
Mastering the Art of French Cooking is a two-volume classic. The iconic Julia Child, along with Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle, created this classic cookbook that every food lover should own, especially those with an affinity for French cuisine. Designed to introduce French cuisine to Americans, this timeless masterpiece features an array of detailed recipes and techniques, from simple to complex, adapted for American kitchens through the use of American ingredients and conveniences. With over 500 recipes and 100 illustrations, the book is brimming with mouthwatering selections, including beef bourguignon, bouillabaisse, and cassoulet.
My Paris Kitchen
A professional cook and baker, and a famed food blogger, David Lebovitz left the Bay Area years ago and set up a home in Paris. He has written numerous books, including My Paris Kitchen, which is a fantastic choice for learning about the ins and outs of modern French cooking. Reflecting the way Parisians eat today, the cookbook features 100 sweet and savory recipes that will inspire anyone to get into the kitchen and cook. With recipes paired with his witty stories, this book will delight anyone who has an interest in food or travel.
Patricia Wells at Home in Provence
Originally from the Midwest, Patricia Wells, a journalist, author, and cooking instructor, moved to France, first to Paris and then to Chanteduc in Provence, with her husband in 1980. Any home cook would be honored to take a class from Patricia (who has cooking schools in both Paris and Provence), but if that’s not possible, her cookbook, Patricia Wells at Home in Provence, makes for a wonderful alternative. With over 175 recipes, plus beautiful photos, the cookbook has dishes developed in her farmhouse kitchen to suit every taste, with highlights including curried zucchini blossoms and butter-roasted herbed chicken.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.