After a long day sightseeing in Paris, what could be better than making the most of the city’s jazz legacy and chilling out to live music in the evening? Whether you want to kick back to some blues on an authentic Parisian barge, dance to 1920s jazz in ancient underground cellars, or sit back and enjoy big band swing on a terrace overlooking the Eiffel Tower, our guide has you covered.
Did you know you can now travel with Culture Trip? Book now and join one of our premium small-group tours to discover the world like never before.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Jazz Club Etoile
If you want to have an authentic experience of Paris at night, then Jazz Club Etoile is the right place to be. This is a stunning jazz bar with an impressive reputation. It opened in 1975 at Le Méridien Etoile hotel with just one pianist but a flurry of jazz musician friends, such as Maxim Saury, Géo Daly and Marcel Zanini, soon joined. After this, American soloists began joining the bill, along with top French musicians. However, it was in the early 1980s that the first real bands appeared at Bar Patio, attracted by the vibrant, lively atmosphere, including Dizzy Gillespie, Cab Calloway, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Claude Bolling, BB King and The Count’s Men. The Bar Patio boasts an authentic stage with full sound and lighting system.
38 Riv Jazz Club
The 38 Riv Jazz club is a great place to enjoy Paris night life. It is an intimate venue tucked away, inside a 13th century vaulted cellar with original medieval stonework, and nestled on the right bank of the Seine. The club hosts a wide range of jazz, Brazilian and traditional Baroque music concerts as well as more spontaneous jazz and funk jamming sessions. You might also hear big band swing, bebop, hardbop, modern, or bossa nova music. As well as this varied range of shows, there are also amateur jazz sessions to help develop the talents of budding young players. The central location of this venue is perfect if you’re looking to wind down after a long day visiting the City of Lights, as it’s only a few blocks from Notre Dame Cathedral.
Mon Coeur Belleville
With a view that spans the gorgreous Parc de Belleville and much of the Paris skyline, Moncoeur Belleville is a local favourite. You can even spot the Eiffel Tower, as well as the usual flurry of Parisian rooftops, from this spectacular vantage point. What’s brilliant is that bands play outside on the terrace when the weather is favourable, usually from April until the end of September. The area is bohemian, just a short walk from Belleville and Ménilmontant, making it a great place to meet up with friends. Although Moncoeur Belleville opened just three years ago, the restaurant is celebrated both for its unique view and for its cuisine dubbed “chic and authentic”. As it happens, the Chef spent four years learning with Michelin star chef, Thierry Marx at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Paris, but he prefers to serve up fresh homemade produce here. There is a live jazz concert every Sunday after brunch, from 12pm until 4pm.
Nubia has a world-famous artist as the owner – Richard Bona, who is considered one of the greatest bassists in the world, having won three Grammy Awards and Best International Artist of the “Jazz Victory Year”. It’s an important address for renowned musicians, following in the footsteps of Bona’s previous jazz venues that enticed the likes of Sting. This new venture brings together the most extraordinary contemporary musicians, while exploiting all the latest developments in the realm of sound technology. In fact, the owner says that the quality is so high you could easily imagine you were in a recording studio. Plus, there is top-level catering, so you can enjoy great-quality food while sitting back and enjoying the gorgeous melodies: from pop, electro and world music, to soul, hip-hop, blues, R&B and rock.
Who’s to say that you have to enjoy jazz indoors when you can listen to it on a boat? This authentic peniche, built in 1925, offers tapas delicacies such as tacos, guacamole and chorizo for bargain prices while putting on an energetic jazz show. Situated on the Quai de l’Hôtel de ville of the Seine, with incredible views of Notre Dame, listening to a two-piece jazz band while sipping Champagne and watching the boats go by is a great way to spend a few hours. They often host parties and have an outside bar on the terrace open from May to October. Nearly 200 people can dine at the makeshift tables of the terrace and in the main room of the barge itself, making it one of the most unusual and lively venues to enjoy jazz in the whole of Paris.
The Bal Blomet
The Bal Blomet is the oldest jazz club in Paris still running today, whose historic legacy stands in testament to its enduring popularity. This facility was most popular during the inter-war years under the name Le Bal Nègre and welcomed a whole range of famous personalities including Joséphine Baker, Ernest Hemingway, Sidney Bechet and Jean-Paul Sartre. It was a particular favourite of the intellectual circles of Paris, with philosophers and writers galore. The club recently reopened its doors after three years of refurbishing . The space is designed to homage the arts and the jazz club’s legacy, and it welcomes experimental and avant garde acts. There’s also traditional jazz music, as well as world music performances, classical and contemporary music, as well as musical theatre.
Caveau de la Huchette
The Parisians like making the most of their ancient underground cellars, and Caveau de la Huchette is one of the best underground jazz venues in the whole city. It’s a quirky place that focuses mainly on 1920s jazz, so feel free to dress up in your finest flapper attire. This musical den, tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the city outside, cultivates a cosy atmosphere where dancing is always on the cards. All of the post-war jazz greats have performed at Caveau de la Huchette and this legacy continues with contemporary line-ups.
You could easily stumble past this venue without a second glance, given its understated exterior, but this cosy little jazz spot is a gem on the music scene and well worth a visit. Sunset Sunside has a gorgeous vaulted, dimly lit salon inside that lends it an intimate ambiance, heightened by the curious, tight-packed layout. The audience is so close to the stage that interaction becomes instinctive, so don’t be surprised if you’re invited onto stage to dance! It gets particularly lively at the weekends, bustling with young couples and friends soaking up the relaxing vibes. There’s a wealth of talented acoustic jazz musicians on the line-up, but it’s kept varied with singers, orchestra swing pianists, and vibrant jam sessions.
La Bellevilloise is the hidden gem of the 20th arrondissement, tucked away in the trendy northeast with an eclectic music programme on most nights. The venue has an unusual history, being the site of Paris’s first workers’ cooperative, remaining an important cultural landmark since 1877. It’s a perfect summertime spot as the venue has a huge terrace above its two-storey structure, where you can soak up the sun’s rays while sipping a cocktail and listening to some of the best jazz musicians the city has to offer. If that’s not enough, there’s also a fabulous arts and cultural centre for exhibitions, and with film screenings on the bill too, so it’s not just a night-time venue. You can also just drop by for a daytime coffee in the soothingly lit café.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.