Aix-en-Provence is one of the big tourist highlights in southern France. Here’s our guide on how to get the most out of a two-day stay.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is the morning to indulge in one of the things that Aix-en-Provence does best – food. Don’t have breakfast at your hotel, head out to the daily market in Place Richelme. It’s open 365 days of the year, from 8am to 1pm, and sells everything from seasonal fruit and vegetables to olives and delicious roast chickens. Have a coffee and a croissant in the square and watch the world go by.
On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, head down to the larger market; which at the time of writing is at La Rotonde (it’s been moved to allow for major pedestrianization to take place in the old town). It has all the same food but also non-food items, like Provençal table cloths, pottery and everything you can imagine made with lavender.
Lunch in the brasserie that is quintessentially Aix, Les 2 Garçons, where Cézanne used to spend hours talking to his friends Emile Zola and Picasso. Winston Churchill also used to hang out here when he came to town to paint. It opened in 1792 and is still serving beer and food to its customers who want to people-watch in the best surroundings.
After lunch, explore the fantastic small streets and beautiful cobbled back alleys. Aix is a city of fountains, and nowhere is this more on show than on the wonderful main promenade of the Cours Mirabeau, the town’s main street. Don’t miss the two cathedrals in town, the beautiful Saint Jean de Malte and the larger, grander, Cathédrale Saint Sauveur.
For dinner, head to Place des Cardeurs, where you’ll find a row of about 20 restaurants, all vying for your summer business. People love Le Papagayo, serving burgers and salads or the more formal, Bistrot des Philosophes. Le Poivre d’Ane does a set menu every night, which isn’t cheap, but gets great reviews.
If day one was for food, then day two is for art. Start by picking up the Cézanne trail and heading up to his studio, on a hill out of town. It’s about a 20-minute walk from the centre, or a short bus ride. Cézanne worked here from 1902 until his death in 1906. A self-guided tour takes in most of Aix from his perspective – where he’s buried, where he went to school, etc.
Have lunch on the Rue d’Italie, the place where you’ll find all the independent and chic food shops. La Dolce Italia is a wonderful Italian lunch restaurant or try La Casa, for a great “tartine” (an open sandwich). Just off the rue d’Italie, you’ll find the Musée Granet, which is home to much of Cézanne’s work. The museum is actually in two parts, because it outgrew its original home. Don’t miss the second part in a beautiful renovated chapel in Place Jean-Boyer.
Next, head to the recently refurbished Hôtel de Caumont, which was built in the 16th century. It now houses a permanent exhibition on Cézanne, as well as temporary exhibitions covering everything from modern photos of Marilyn Monroe to 16th century Italian masters. The exhibitions are never very big but the house and gardens are beautiful too and well worth a look.
Head to Place de la Mairie (the Town Hall Square) for an early evening drink (an “apéro“). After taking in the atmosphere outside the lovely Town Hall, head to either Mitch for a more upmarket dinner, or have a delicious pizza outside at Le Four sous le Platane. Order a bottle of local rosé wine and toast your lovely weekend.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.