Rural France is the country at its best – as are its quaint villages. Spanning the regions of Normandy to Alsace and Champagne to Occitanie, these are the lesser-known villages to plan your next trip around.
You may well know that the region of Champagne is where you’ll sample the very best in bubbly, but do you know where exactly to look? Épernay is the true soul of the region, being home to fabled Champagne behemoths like Moët et Chandon and Mercier, which you’ll find lining its aptly named L’Avenue de Champagne. From Paris, a TER train from Gare de l’Est will get you there in about 90 minutes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Monpazier, in the Dordogne department some 40km (25mi) from Bergerac Airport, is a wonderfully well-preserved medieval village, which is very much a portal to the 12th century. It is considered the most intact bastide in the country, and a member of the Les Plus Beaux Villages de France (the most beautiful villages of France) association – retaining much of its original charm. The medieval centre draws locals and tourists on a weekly basis for its food and crafts market; meanwhile, art houses, boutiques, cafés and restaurants line its cobbled lanes.
Close to the town of Barfleur in Normandy, Gatteville-le-Phare is a rustic seaside village boasting the third-tallest “traditional lighthouse” in the world, Pointe de Barfleur Light. You can climb its 365 steps for expansive views of the English Channel. Meanwhile, there’s not a whole lot going on in this traditional French commune, but enjoying its slow pace of life makes for an afternoon well-spent.
In Brittany, Josselin is a medieval village that dates back to the 11th century and whose church, Basilique Notre-Dame du Roncier, and namesake castle endure as reminders. Newer additions to this historic destination, which is about 90 minutes from Saint-Malo, include an English bookshop, bars, restaurants and a thriving arts and crafts scene. Each summer, artisans d’art pop up between June to September to exhibit everything from ceramics and pottery to stained glass and antique lamps.
Some 30 minutes from Montpellier, Argelliers is where you’ll find in-the-know oenophiles. This village, with a population of no more than 1,000, is at the heart of the region’s wine distribution – and, naturally, there are loads of wineries and vineyards around. Les Vignerons d’Argeliers Cave Coopérative La Languedocienne is one such place, where you can bring along refillable containers and enjoy wine on tap for a couple of euros. Other highlights include its bakery, butcher and authentic restaurants stocked with local produce.
You’ll notice a distinct theme with France’s lesser-known villages: castles and architecture dating back to the Middle Ages, and wine. Eguisheim, which has long topped listicles for being one of the most beautiful villages in France, has both in spades – famed for its kaleidoscopic old houses and their timber frames. It also happens to be the birthplace of Alsatian vineyards, making it an absolute must-visit in the region.
Villefranche-sur-Mer, Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur
You’ve most probably heard of Nice, on the southeast coast of France, but walking distance – or one train stop – from the city sits a lesser-known charming destination. Villefranche-sur-Mer is a village of colourful facades, with one of the Riviera’s best beaches, Plage des Marinières, a natural harbour and a lovely stretch of restaurants along the waterfront. It makes for a wonderful day trip from Nice, or indeed a quieter alternative to the city.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.