Known as the gateway to Provence, Avignon promises an unforgettable break for the family, with something to enchant visitors of all ages. The ancient metropolis brims with parks, leafy boulevards, cobbled squares, museums and restaurants – the famous Pont d’Avignon bridge and the Palace of the Popes are particular highlights. If you’re visiting southern France as a family, there are lots of accommodation options to explore. Here are the best hotels, guesthouses and bed and breakfasts for those travelling with little ones in tow – all bookable with Culture Trip.
Play at being a willing castaway at this charming bed and breakfast on Barthelasse Island – one of the largest river islands in Europe, and accessible from town via a cable ferry or bridge. One of the most magical accommodation options here – which will go down a treat with kids – is the Gypsy Caravan. This quirky wooden lodge amid the gardens looks like something out of a fairytale, with cosy and rustic interiors. It is accessible to children from 12 years old and can sleep up to two people, with a double bed in an alcove, a kitchen and an outdoor terrace. Alternatively, there is a more spacious and traditionally styled family room in the main farmhouse.
In the heart of Avignon’s old city centre, this family-run guesthouse makes for a peaceful base for adults and children alike. There are three well-appointed rooms in the main farmhouse and two more in an adjoining building – all are spacious enough to accommodate family groups. The outdoor swimming pool in the walled garden is a real highlight, along with the outdoor patio space. Guests also love the friendly hosts.
Step back in time at this picture-perfect bed and breakfast, which sits atop a hillside in the medieval town of Villeneuve-lès-Avignon. The intimate, 14th-century property was originally the home of a cardinal from the Orsini family, and affords superb views of the Palace of the Popes and the surrounding landscape. There are several suites and two cottages available – all feature sofa beds that can accommodate one adult or two children. Your hosts will be more than happy to recommend some family activities and there are dozens of attractions within walking distance.
Home to the largest private garden in Avignon and a swimming pool, this smart guesthouse makes for a dreamy base, where adults can relax and children can burn off excess energy exploring. Along with the verdant grounds, kids will love the four-legged residents, which include Theodule the dog and two cats, Simone and Gaston. There are five beautifully styled suites that blend period and contemporary furnishings – the largest is the Aphrodite Suite, with an impressive round bed in the main space and a single bed in an adjoining room.
Framed by fragrant lavender beds and mature olive trees, this spa hotel offers a taste of Provence. The hotel is in the commercial district of Pontet, a small town less than 10 minutes by car from the centre of Avignon. Given its out-of-town location, the modern rooms are great value for money. Make sure you book in for breakfast, too – with the pancakes, cured meats and fresh pastries among the morning buffet highlights.
With a prime location close to the train station and just outside the ancient walls, this sunny hotel makes for a convenient city base. There are 124 rooms in total, including two-bedroom family suites that can sleep up to five people. Most of the bedrooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows serving up top views of Avignon’s historic landmarks and of the private garden below. Alternatively, head to the rooftop for incredible views, as well as a sundeck and swimming pool.
Just a stone’s throw from the Palace of the Popes, this elegant guesthouse is built on foundations dating back to the 13th century. There are spacious apartments suited to family groups, with kitchenettes included so you can make meals in the comfort of your home from home. Ground-floor apartments also have garden furniture, so you can enjoy the exotic surroundings of the Mediterranean-style patio. Making life a little easier, the hotel is able to arrange airport transfers and day trips to explore the surrounding highlights.
It might look unassuming from the outside, but this smart boutique hotel is a haven of tranquillity once you step inside. The property, which is located within the historic city walls, offers 30 bright and airy rooms. The family suite, decked out with splashes of yellow, can sleep up to five guests, with three beds located on a mezzanine level. Guests rate the friendly service and the bountiful buffet breakfast, which can be enjoyed in the garden area during the warmer summer months. There is secure parking available if you are travelling by car, and free spaces reserved for bikes.
For more stays in Avignon, check out our guide to the best boutique hotels in the city. Unwind after a long day at one of the best bars in town. Looking for more family-oriented stays in the surrounding region? Book into one of the best family-friendly hotels in Provence with Culture Trip. There are plenty of reasons to visit Provence – with the area’s picturesque and beautiful towns being just one of them.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.