Avignon, in south-eastern France and on the left bank of the Rhone River, is a picturesque medieval town that promises to leave a lasting impression.
From the Palace of the Popes to its delicious spread of restaurants, Avignon has something to whet every traveller’s appetite. To get a real flavour of what this city is about, there are dozens of boutique hotels offering a more personalised service. Here, we reveal some of the best pint-sized accommodation options.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Feel right at home in this 16th-century central property, which has been lovingly converted into a charming family-run bed and breakfast. The three bedrooms, two suites and apartment have been individually decorated with smart, urban-chic furnishings. The apartment includes a lounge and kitchen area for longer-term stays. In terms of communal areas, there are four cosy lounge spaces to skip between, and a dining room where breakfast is served. The homemade hot chocolate here is a must-try, either in the morning or before bedtime.
Sunny colours run throughout the upscale boutique hotel, which looks deceptively plain from the outside. Inside, you will find 30 well-appointed rooms of varying sizes; most enjoy garden views. The sun-drenched patio is a real treat – enjoy your buffet breakfast amid the foliage in the warmer months. As the hotel is located on the ViaRhôna, a popular 815km (506mi) itinerary that runs from Lake Geneva to the Mediterranean Sea, there are various facilities on offer for cyclists, including free bike storage and a water point for cleaning.
Eccentric furnishings make this boutique guest house an Instagrammer’s dream: a quirky light fixture here, a bold artwork there. The intimate property is in the heart of Villeneuve-lès-Avignon, a medieval town on the other side of the river Rhone to Avignon. There are six rooms and three suites. Each is named after a letter of the alphabet – A, B, C, etc – following the quirky theme. The owners instruct guests to “be greedy, be demanding, and forget the time”, with a decadent breakfast to start the day, followed by a spot of sightseeing and a dip in the heated pool on return. A real highlight here is the personalised service, with everything from macaroons to bouquets of flowers arranged on request.
Neatly proportioned, this guesthouse might be small, but it offers everything you will need for a comfortable city break, with a swimming pool and sundeck being the icing on the cake. There are three individually styled rooms; two feature small kitchen areas so you can rustle up treats in the comfort of your home. The owners also provide a breakfast, which can be enjoyed in the garden or your room. Along with the friendly service, you’ll love the convenient location, a stone’s throw from the Palace of the Popes.
Wake up to the sound of birdsong at this Provence-style property in a quiet residential area close to the centre of town. The six-room guesthouse has an oasis-like garden, complete with mature trees and a bamboo grove flanking the walls. Amid the plants is a swimming pool and a conservatory off the main house. All of the rooms offer plenty of space, with exposed limestone walls and natural wood furnishings playing on the Provençal theme.
Dripping with vines and decked out with wooden shutters, this 16th-century property makes for a delightful sight. Tucked away in the historic centre of Villeneuve‑Lez‑Avignon, this boutique hotel is home to 21 rooms, which feature a combination of exposed stone walls, wood beams and antique-style furnishings. Start your day in style by getting your fill from the generous morning buffet, which can be enjoyed in the contemporary-styled breakfast room or the pleasant surrounds of the peaceful walled garden.
Open since 1913, this three-star hotel prides itself on its top-notch service and a prime location on the shopping street Rue de la République. There are 24 rooms up to the fourth floor of the property, which are accessible via a lift; a staircase leads to three rooms on the floor above. The rooms are simply furnished, but have been upgraded over the years to accommodate the 21st-century traveller.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.