La Joliette is a neighbourhood of Marseille that runs along the Mediterranean coast from the Old Port area to the New Port, where the cruise ships dock. It is the biggest regeneration area in Southern Europe (in terms of land area) where apartments, infrastructure, schools, bars, shops and offices are being built. Here’s our guide on the area, what you can do there and how the locals feel about it.
The Euroméditerranée project is an ongoing 20-year program to regenerate a central business district in Marseille. It was started by the then-mayor of Marseille, Robert Vigoroux in 1995 to create homes, offices and a cultural heartland of over 310 hectares. In 2007, another 170 hectares were added to the project area.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The site is immense and is funded by the European Union, the French national and local government as well as private business – €5 million of the total €7 million has come in from private funding.
History of the Area
The site has been totally cleared and – in most places – razed to the ground. This isn’t urban regeneration in the usual sense, where people move in, house prices go up and force the original tenants out. People who lived here before were moved before work began – the area was full of social housing. These people have been moved into housing in other parts of the city.
Offices and Homes
The area now boasts the tallest building in Marseille, the CMA CGM tower, which is the third largest shipping company in the world and one of the city’s largest employers.
In addition, hundreds of new offices have been built as well as hundreds of new apartment blocks. The idea is that people can really live and work in the same neighbourhood.
The highlight of this new area is the Terrasses du Port shopping mall, which is a three-storey dockside building filled with high street stores. Head to the roof for the restaurants and bars (it gets lively on weekend evenings in the summer) and for stunning views out over the docks and cruise ships.
Across the street is Les Docks, a huge old factory that has been turned into small offices and chic independent shops.
The main street that runs through this neighbourhood, rue de la République has also had a facelift, although many businesses have yet to take up residence.
The Silo has been turned into a concert venue, the Docks des Sud hold lots of festivals and the Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilisations (MUCEM) has been built.
A lot of food trucks have popped up and you can hire tandem bikes by the hour from the Tulip Hotel.
In summer 2017, the local government announced plans for a new public school focusing on languages, with most of the lessons in English. It will be open by 2023.
The Local View
In terms of prestige and attracting international investment, the area has been transformed from a very poor run-down neighbourhood into prime central real estate. And it looks great. Most locals don’t doubt that it’s an aesthetic improvement and the development is a good idea. But while many are enthusiastic, some are skeptical about how far it will really work to regenerate Marseille or improve its international status. A lot of the units on rue de la République are still unoccupied and many of the apartments haven’t got tenants yet. This doesn’t mean they aren’t selling, just that it’s a work in progress. The shops are undeniably teeming with people which is a good sign. Fingers crossed that the permanent occupants will follow…
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.