Very few vineyards offer as much as Château La Coste in France; this place is a destination in its own right – there simply aren’t enough superlatives to describe the place. It’s where you’ll be able to live the lifestyle you dream of, if only for a few hours. It’s easy to spend an entire day here, and we’ll show you how. Here’s our guide on how to make the most of your visit.
Château La Coste is close to the town of Aix en Provence, deep in the heart of southern France. The area is well known for its warm climate, amazing light (the region has attracted numerous painters), tasty food and wonderful wine, all of which this place represents. Here you’ll be able to enjoy great food, look at amazing architecture and view wonderful art – and of course go on one of the wine tours.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Take a guided tour of the architecture
When Château La Coste opened, renowned artists and architects were encouraged to come and design permanent installations in places around the grounds that they loved, and the results are spectacular. The tour is open every day and you can walk around the trail admiring the works of art. Wear comfortable footwear (be warned, the trail isn’t flat) and take lots of water in the summer. Louise Bourgeois’ ‘Crouching Spider‘ is the first thing you see upon arrival, and there are permanent works here by, among others, Tracey Emin, Tadao Ando and Frank Gehry.
There is now a new installation by Chinese artist Ai Weiwei called ‘Ruyi Path.’ Using stone from the Old Port in Marseille, a new pathway weaves through the trees connecting two ancient paths on the site.
Eat at one of the amazing restaurants
The landscape designer, Louis Benech, has created an immense state-of-the-art kitchen garden, which grows fresh, seasonal, local vegetables for use in the restaurants. There are two places to eat. The more laid-back Terrace, which serves fresh salads, soups and home-made tarts, is outside and an ideal place to sit and marvel at the gardens. It also has live music in the summer.
The Tadao Ando restaurant, on the other hand, is more of a spectacle – an eating extravaganza. It manages to serve Provençal and Mediterranean dishes of outstanding quality without being overly stuffy or extremely overpriced, while still happily serving up pasta for the kids. Enjoy the fresh fish, divine pâté, or luscious beef and wash it all down with Château La Coste wines. Make sure to book in advance and go for a table on the terrace if the weather is good (they even bring you blankets or sun hats if necessary). Built by the architect Tadao Ando, it’s surrounded by water and interesting architecture, overlooking the vineyards beyond. Not to be missed. Check out the menu here.
Take a workshop on art and architecture
Château La Coste runs workshops for both adults and children. Grown-ups can learn how to sketch landscape or architecture, and kids can run around the amazing grounds collecting twigs and leaves to turn into beautifully designed living art – while parents can sit in the café appreciating the wine. There’s something for everyone here.
Visit the art gallery and shop
The Japanese architect Tadao Ando conceived the design of the main entrance and arts center. The car park is hidden underground by a large infinity pool (containing the ‘Crouching Spider’ sculpture). It’s a geometric masterpiece that houses the main restaurant and welcome center, complete with an art shop, full of wonderful gems for all ages – kids love the magnets and artistic coloring books, while adults appreciate the books on architecture and painting. An art gallery was recently opened on-site too and offers a chance to view new artists in temporary shows.
Take a wine tour
It’s easy to forget that this place is beloved for its wine as much as everything else, and it takes its wine seriously and people love the results. Under the guidance of wine-maker Matthieu Cosse, the site has been completely redeveloped since 2006 and is now completely organic. Take a tour around the cutting-edge technology or, if that’s too much actions, take a wine course or a simple wine tasting, before you buy a bottle or two to take home. They even help you carry the wine to your car, and ship worldwide. The service is unpretentious, informative and very friendly.
Sleep at Villa La Coste
If you can’t bear to leave, the new Villa La Coste will let you stay. Opening in April, the villa has 28 suites, two new restaurants and a spa. This is luxury at its finest. They are open all year round, but hours change from summer to winter (at minimum, 10AM to 5PM), so check online or call first.
Château La Coste, 2750 Route De La Cride, Le Puy-Sainte-Réparade, France, +33 4 42 61 92 92
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.