Cannes, on France’s famous Riviera, always has a lot of art on display but many of the sculptures and statues are temporary and part of travelling exhibitions. Here’s a look at four much-loved permanent pieces – new and old – that you can find around the city, all of which represent things very dear to the French community and to the Cannes way of life.
The Mermaid, Atlante, in Port Pierre Canto
Cannes has its very own version of Denmark’s The Little Mermaid. At the entrance to the Pierre Canto port, there is a statue of a mermaid, called Atlante. She is 175cm high and was made out of bronze by the artist Amaryllis Bataille, to commemorate the year 2000. She stands on a rock, with scales on her legs (rather than a fishtail as most mermaids have) as she’s adapted to the land, so she can be ready to protect the ocean.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The artist, Bataille, had always been fascinated by mermaids and decided to create her to commemorate the new millennium, because in her own words, “Atlante is thinking about the losses of the last century and looks towards the new century. She is strong and brave, and determined to face the coming storms and to help us undo the damage caused by the poisoning of the oceans and the senseless hunting that threatens many marine species.” She is the only sculpture to have been placed anywhere in the waters in Cannes. A must-see.
The Lioness With her Two Cubs, in Square Reynaldo-Hahn
In 1930, the sculptor Eugène Antoine Borga was commissioned to create a statue of a lioness with her cubs. It’s in the Square Reynaldo-Hahn, on La Croisette, close to the old-fashioned carousel. It symbolises the protection offered by a mother to her children, but also – fitting for the period just before World War II – how we all need to protect those weaker than ourselves.
The Shoal of Fish, in Cannes (now Cagnes-sur-Mer)
This work of art consists of 12 fish, of different sizes, made by the artist Sylvain Subervie in 2006. Originally installed in Cannes’ old port, they have now been moved to a nearby beach, along the road in Cagnes-sur-Mer. The fish move in the wind and light up, representing the beauty and strength of the oceans and how the oceans need to be protected. The fish become almost translucent at night, representing (in the artist’s own words) how the “dumb, naive fish have been bruised by humans”.
Joan of Arc
Joan of Arc (or Jeanne, to her friends) was only 17 years old when she heard voices from God, which told her to seize back French land from the English in the north of France. She sacked the local castle, was sent to the court of Charles and helped him push back most of the English from Orléans and more than 170 miles of territory. She has come to symbolise a lot for the French and many cities honour her with statues. The one in Cannes was designed by sculptor Maxime Real del Sarte in 1950. You can find it in Place Jean Hibert.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.