France is by far one of the world’s great sailing destinations. With more than 3,200km (2,000mi) of coastline, it is also one of great contrast – from the rugged beauty and consistent winds of the Atlantic Ocean to the warm colours and turquoise waters of the Mediterranean Sea, where brightly coloured fishing boats moor alongside modern superyachts. The French Riviera has long been a leading maritime centre, which means that along with postcard-pretty scenery, the region is well set up with sailing infrastructure. Here are some top tips to making the most of a sailing adventure in France – with the warmer climbs of the south being the main focus, of course.
Get to know the ocean around the amazing coastal towns with Culture Trip’s Sailing Trips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
What to see and do in France
If you’re looking for some real gems to explore on the southern French coast, point your compass in the direction of Les Iles de Lérins. Located just half a mile off the coast of Cannes, these islands serve as an untouched pocket of natural beauty, where it’s possible to escape the crowds along a pine-scented promenade even during the high season months of July and August. On Ile Saint-Honorat – the smaller of the two islands – a community of monks have been making wine since the Middle Ages.
Moving along the coast to Monaco, you can sample another taste of the Côte d’Azur at La Distillerie de Monaco – a boutique distillery transforming the bitter oranges that grow on the principality’s streets into an array of “Made in Monaco” spirits, including an orange liqueur and gin. You may even spot some of the tipples while perusing menus in Saint-Tropez. This sleepy fishing village made famous by Brigitte Bardot remains a Riviera must-see. Just outside the Gulf of Saint-Tropez, Pampelonne Beach is considered one of the best in the region with crystal-clear waters and quiet sands.
Best mooring locations in France
Serving as a harbour since pre-Roman times, Port Vauban in Antibes (VHF Channel 9) has the capacity to welcome 1,650 yachts up to 170m (557ft) in length. Today, the marina prides itself as being the “Capital of yachting in the Mediterranean” and its great spread of amenities – from modern shower rooms to marina stores and bicycle rentals – is another lure for sailors.
Further along the coast to the east, the deep harbour of Villefranche-sur-Mer is framed by two leafy peninsulas and a cascade of pastel-coloured buildings at the water’s edge. Explore the medieval citadel that flanks the old town or have a sundown aperitif at a waterfront café. Closer to Saint-Tropez, the sandy beaches of Porquerolles island are lapped by Caribbean-esque waters.
Where to eat and drink in France
Southern French food is full of flavour, with an array of local produce on offer from fresh fish to rich olive oil. It’s a sunny cuisine that pairs perfectly with a glass of pale pink rosé from vineyards around Saint-Tropez. Typical dishes to discover include socca, a thin chickpea pancake cooked in a woodfire oven, pissaladière, focaccia topped with caramelized onions and anchovies, les petits farcis niçois, stuffed vegetables and pan bagnat, a sandwich stuffed with a traditional salad niçoise.
Just behind the port in Nice, Chez Pipo serves up the best socca in the city. If you’re after somewhere a little more swanky, Restaurant Jan – on the same street and headed up by ex-superyacht chef Jan Hendrik, – offers up Michelin-star dining in a beautiful setting.
Where to get groceries in France
On the French Riviera, you’ll find at least one supermarket within walking distance of major ports – in Cannes and Antibes, it’s Carrefour City, in Nice it’s Intermarché and in Monaco, it’s Casino. Daily markets – such as Le Marché Forville in Cannes and Le Marché de la Condamine in Monaco – are a great option to stock up on fresh, seasonal produce, as well. For an extended selection, Carrefour Antibes and Carrefour Nice Lingostière are two of the region’s biggest hypermarkets, but both are located on the edge of town so a taxi service is best.
Key annual sailing events in France
Autumn is the season for sailing events, with a busy calendar that includes two regattas that showcase the power and performance of sailing yachts: the Cannes Royal Regattas in September and Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez in October. Also in September, the Cannes Yachting Festival and Monaco Yacht Show debut new models from boatbuilders around the globe.
Climate and weather in France
Hot summers and warm shoulder seasons mean the best months for sailing along the French Mediterranean coast are between May and September. During the high season – July and August – you can look forward to long, sunny days and gentle winds but with this consistent weather, comes crowded ports and increased anchorage fees. Mild winters mean it is possible to sail all year round although the Mistral, a strong and cold North Westerly wind – which comes from the Rhône Valley – is more common in the colder months and can bring winds in excess of 65kmh (40mph).
How to get to France
With more than 30 international airports in France, chances are you won’t have too far to travel once you have landed to reach your charter yacht. For the ports of the French Riviera – including Saint-Tropez – Nice Côte d’Azur Airport is the gateway and you’ll find train, bus, tram and taxi options for your onward journey.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.