If you love your wine then you’ll be in safe hands in the Langudeoc. This area in the South of France is the biggest wine region in the country, with rows upon rows covering the undulating hills, and beautiful châteaux welcoming you in to sample their product and maybe stay a couple of luxurious nights.
Forty-five hectares of vineyards (and some olive groves, of course) make up this family-run, 12th-century winery in the Minervois region of the Languedoc. You can stay in one of the tastefully converted winemaker’s cottages, and there is a big selection of wine tastings; from tours and activities to customised trips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Château Canet, Canet-Est, Rustiques, France, + 33 468 792 825
Domaine Saint Hilaire
Domaine Saint Hilaire is an award-winning vineyard set in 175-acre land, and has been producing wine since the Roman times. It is a real must-visit if you are dropping by the Languedoc and keen to know some of the local wine history as well as sample some amazing wine. There are numerous wine tasting packages on offer, from a tailored tasting, to tasting with tapas and tasting with a three-course lunch. If you fall in love with the look of Domaine Saint Hilaire, then there’s the option to rent the luxury manor house, which dates back to before the French Revolution.
Domaine Saint Hilaire, Montagnac, France, +33 467 240 008
Domaine La Madura
Domaine La Madura is a small wine estate in the Saint-Chinian appellation that is acknowledged for its quality and diversity of grape. The tasting cellar is open from Monday to Friday for groups of up to 50 people and English is spoken. If you are looking for a smaller, more personal wine tasting in the Languedoc, then this one is for you.
Near Narbonne and overlooking the Mediterranean Sea is the beautiful Château l’Hospitalet. This wine estate also offers a 38-room three-star hotel, restaurant, and tasting cellar with lots of wine tourism activities – perfect as a one-destination-suits-all for wine lovers. The estate tends to grapes that are typical to the Languedoc region of France, including Grenache, Syrah, Carignan for reds and Bourboulenc, Marsane, Viognier and more for whites.
Château l’Hospitalet, Route de Narbonne plage, Narbonne, France, +33 468 452 850
Mas de Daumas Gassac
Enjoy guided tours of the cellars and wine tasting in this beautiful, elevated location in the Languedoc, north west of Montpellier. Visits and tastings are carried out in both English and French, but make sure you book ahead for groups of more than eight. This vineyard dates back to 1970 when first-generation winemakers, the Guibert family, embarked on their dream by bringing back to life an old farmhouse and an abandoned mill, then creating the beautiful vineyards seen today. A perfect day trip when staying in Montpellier.
Mas de Daumas Gassac, Haute vallée du Gassac, Aniane, France, +33 467 577 128
Château de Pennautier
Just north of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Carcassonne is the incredible Pennautier castle. Château of Pennautier has been in one family since 1620 – quite a feat – and in 1670 was extended by architect Le Vau, whose work also included the Château of Versailles. The current owners are Nicolas and Miren de Lorgeril, the incredible 10th generation of winemakers on the estate. With over 10 grape varieties and in a setting that simply can’t be beaten, book into La Boutique, where you can taste wines from the six different Lorgeril family estates.
Château de Pennautier, 2 Boulevard Pasteur, Pennautier, France, +33 468 726 529
This vineyard is situated on the foothills of the Pyrenees and is a new kid on the block. Built in 2004, with fine dining options and incredible views of the Pyrenees on its upper floor, Domaine Gayda mixes new technologies with traditional methods to secure the best grape harvests. The vineyard is home to its own wine school – Vinécole – and wine enthusiasts can enrol on multiple wine programs and discoveries, from wine weekends to two-hour tutored tastings.
Domaine Gayda, Chemin de Moscou, Brugairolles, France, +33 468 206 587
The spontaneous choice
Oh to be exploring a region with so much wine that you need hardly seek out a vineyard. If time isn’t on your side or you’re a little late to get organised, then simply find yourself a local wine shop. You’ll find that most are run by completely knowledgeable locals who will happily talk you though their different wines. They’ll probably produce some nibbles to go along with it. Or find yourself a cafe and order a couple of carafes of recommended wine from the waiter. Mix in some local cheese and bread and you’ll have one of the most authentic and relaxed tastings.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.