In recent years, many people from France have shown a desire to escape from a stressful pace of life to find a more laid-back and relaxed lifestyle in Bordeaux. If the living conditions are definitely a plus, the following reasons might also make you seriously consider making the decision to live in France’s La Belle Endormie (Sleeping Beauty) for a while at least.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The quality of life
The recent move of people from other areas of France to Bordeaux is partly due to its great quality of life. Although it is a big city, the locals seem to have found the perfect balance between working hard and enjoy their downtime with their loved ones. The fact that it is a very bicycle-friendly city and that a lot of people use bicycles as their primary way of transportation is a great way to break down fast-paced rhythms and to be more open to “slow life” experiences.
The Bordeaux locals
Bordeaux locals have the reputation of being aloof and not very welcoming. However, as you meet and interact with the local population, you will quickly realise this could not be further from the truth. In general, people in Bordeaux are a bit reserved, but they will open up as soon as you make the first step to engage with them. So, smile and not only will people smile back but they will also make you one of their own!
The diversity of the region
The diversity found in Bordeaux and its region is one of the key points that makes it very attractive. Indeed, the city itself has different shades as you’ll discover as you venture into the different neighborhoods. During the year, there are many opportunities to take day trips to get to know the Nouvelle Aquitaine region. The ocean is only an hour’s drive away and after driving for nearly two hours, you will be ready to go skiing in the Pyrénées.
You will be stunned by the beauty of the city. Throughout the years, the city officials have managed to preserve the city’s 18th-century architecture and renovate most of its buildings while adding a touch of modernity to them, too. There are lots of chances to visit Bordeaux’s main attractions and you won’t get tired of the beautiful view over the Garonne river while walking along les quais.
The fabulous food
French people brag a lot about the quality of their food, and we have to admit that they are justified in doing so. Each region has its plethora of local delicacies and Bordeaux is no exception. You can start your culinary initiation in the Saint Pierre district and visit some of Bordeaux’s top restaurants. You will taste some of the best oysters and seafood dishes in Arcachon Bay, and don’t forget to stop by the Dordogne for some excellent terroir products.
The delicious wine
It’s probably the main reason why you move to Bordeaux but in case it hasn’t occurred to you, living in Bordeaux is a pretty good opportunity to learn more about wine. To do so, you can join one of the wine tours occurring throughout the year (some are more expensive than others) or work your way around every single wine bar in town in the name of “research”.
The open green spaces
One of the things you will particularly enjoy during your time in Bordeaux is walking around all the numerous green spaces areas in town. Going for a run or relaxing with a good book on a park bench right in the heart of the city is a luxury that not many cities can offer. During the spring and the summer, the parks offer the perfect opportunity to get together with your friends for a picnic and hang out there for the whole day.
The low crime rates
Regardless of which city you go to, there is always a safety risk, but incidents of crime in Bordeaux are pretty low. Of course, use common sense and avoid walking alone in the middle of the night and deserted alleyways but you should feel perfectly comfortable travelling on the trams late in the evening, as it is often crowded and has a video surveillance system.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.