The friendly and bustling city of Lille has so much to offer visitors and tourists including historical landmarks, museums, heritage sites, shopping, art, great hotels, and restaurants. All of that much enhanced by the legendary warm welcome of its people, here are some of the must-see places to check out while in Lille.
The emblematic Grande Place is the beating heart of the city and a favourite meeting point for visitors and locals alike. A perfect place to people watch while perched in one of the cafés around the square.
The star-shaped military fortress from the 17th century is still an active army base to this day. A visit to the Citadelle is a perfect way to learn about Lille’s history and understand why it became such a critical crossroads for trade and a strategic hot spot in wartime. Group tours are arranged by the Tourism Office.
Citadelle de Lille, Avenue du 43e régiment d’infanterie, Lille, France, +33 04 43 05 12 90
One of the most iconic buildings in the city, the old stock exchange is a historical monument that is actually a collection of 24 identical houses built in the 17th century around a striking courtyard.
Vieille Bourse, Place Charles de Gaulle, 59000 Lille, France, +33 891 56 20 04
Lille’s native hero Charles de Gaulle is probably mostly known as the leader of the France Libre during the Second World War and as a long-serving president of the French Republic. Today, his home is a museum in his honour that retells the story of his formative years and offers a glimpse into life in Lille in the early 20th century.
Maison Natale Charles de Gaulle, 9 Rue Princesse, Lille, France, +33 3 28 38 12 05
Dominating the landscape and protected as a World Heritage Site, the belfry at City Hall offers a splendid 360-degree panorama of Lille. After climbing 100 steps, visitors can opt for the elevator the rest of the way up. It is worth it for a bird-eye view of how the city developed.
Beffroi de Lille, Place Roger Salengro, Lille, France, +33 891 56 20 04
A magical time to visit Lille is during the month of December when the city dons its garlands and fairy lights for its famous Christmas market. Dozens of chalets offer delicious local treats, gingerbread, vin chaud, regional specialties, and arts and crafts.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A converted 17th-century hospice bears witness to history through the stories of the soldiers and civilians that passed through over the years. The Musée de l’Hospice Comtesse even features a beautiful garden growing the medicinal herbs and plants used to treat patients in their care. The exhibits in the grand building are complemented with priceless works of art that add an extra layer of interest to the visit.
Musée de l’Hospice Comtesse, 32 Rue de la Monnaie Lille, France, +33 3 28 36 84 00
Braderie de Lille
Around the first Sunday in September, the entire city dresses up for the Braderie de Lille, a gigantic open-air flea market that turns into one huge festival. An opportunity to bag a bargain, find an antique treasure, and enjoy one of the many events and concerts timed around the Braderie.
One of the best-known zoological parks in France, the Lille Zoo is host to one million visitors every year. Its location on the verdant park around the Citadelle makes it a fun and relaxing outing for the family.
Zoo de Lille, Avenue Mathias Delobel, Lille, France +33 03 28 52 07 00
Sweet-tooth paradise found. Meert is home of the authentic Gaufre Fourrée de Lille, a delicate, thin-waffle sandwich filled with vanilla cream that was a favourite of royalty and President de Gaulle. Lots of sweet treats and pastries on offer as well as a selection of their signature chocolates.
Maison Meert, 27 Rue Esquermoise, Lille, France, +33 03 20 57 07 44
The Jardin des Plantes in the southern tip of Lille is a hidden jewel. It has a rose garden, acres of trees, and a lovely tropical-plant greenhouse. The botanical gardens, within easy reach on the metro, offer a lovely break to relax in between sightseeing adventures.
Jardin des Plantes, 306 Rue du Jardin des Plantes, Lille, France, +33 03 28 36 13 50
The peculiar shape of a hallekerque is designed to spread the weight of the building to suit the soft and yielding soil of Flanders, and the Eglise Saint-Maurice is a beautiful and archetypal example of this type of construction.
Paroisse Saint Maurice, 19Bis Parvis Saint-Maurice, Lille, France, +33 03 20 06 07 21
Located just 14 km (8.7 miles) from Lille, the famous-art space La Piscine, or Musée d’Art et d’iIndustrie André-Diligent, occupies a former art-déco swimming pool converted into a sensational art museum featuring an important collection of fine and decorative arts.
Musée d’Art et d’Industrie André Diligent, 23 Rue de la Espérance, Roubaix, France, + 33 3 20 69 23 60
Get a sense of Lille’s strategic importance as a trade and cultural hub. The third biggest business district in France, Euralille is home to the Eurostar station joining Paris, Brussels, and London as well as hotels, a casino, restaurants, and one of France’s biggest shopping centres.
Euralille, 100 Avenue Willy Brandt, 59000 Lille, France, +33 3 20 14 52 20
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.