There are so many fun and interesting things to see and do in Strasbourg as a couple that it’s easy to stay within the tried and tested tourist sites. If you’re looking for something a little less ordinary, these ideas can get you started.
Concerted conservation efforts have made it possible for storks to make a comeback in France after their numbers had dropped significantly in the ’60s. Nowadays these beautiful birds – symbols of fertility and good fortune – perch their huge nests all over the place. A particularly good spot to see them is the scenic Parc de l’Orangerie.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ride a tandem
Strasbourg is a bike-friendly city as it’s almost completely flat and has well-marked bike paths. A great way to see the old city and the beautiful parks and sites is to rent a bike – and since you are travelling à deux, why not rent a tandem? The Vélhop bike share system has pick-up and drop-off stations all around the city and has a handy online reservation system, but there are many rental shops with original and vintage bikes to make your ride even more fun.
Immersion in chocolate
Chances are either you or your beloved – or both of you – are chocolate lovers. Visit the Museé du Chocolat to learn about the preparation and history of this delicious treat, and enjoy a tasting. Afterwards, of course, buy your date a lovely edible gift from the boutique.
Chocolate Museum, Rue du Pont-du-Péage, Geispolsheim, France, +33 03 88 55 04 90
Strasbourg is the unexpected home of the largest private collection of West African Voodoo in the world. Château Vodou, located downtown, presents intriguing and eerie objects of worship, divination, and witchcraft. Nothing spices up a date like a tiny dose of frisson.
Château Musée Vodou, Rue de Koenigshoffen, Strasbourg, France, +33 03 88 36 15 03
Dine on the Orient Express
Those who love vintage styling will adore this spot. The restaurant Les Secret des Grands Express is set up inside an original Orient Express railway carriage. Keep in mind to book ahead, as this train’s tables tend to sell out quickly.
Les Secret des Grands Express, Rue du Pont du Péage, Geispolsheim, France, +33 3 88 45 45 88
Cook up a shared memory
Preparing food together is a great way to get to know each other’s tastes and preferences. Take a cooking class with professional chefs, such as the one offered at The Hôtel Suisse near the Cathedral, which hosts a pastry workshop offered at the School of Pastry-making, headed by virtuoso Chef Christophe Felder, former-pastry chef at the Hôtel de Crillon, Paris. You can also try L’ateliers des Chefs, where you can pick the theme or regional flavour of your menu. You’ll learn new skills, take great photos and above all make a lovely shared memory together.
Chase the sunset
Trek up the 332 steps leading to the Cathedral’s viewing platform about an hour before sunset to catch the best view in the city. You can sneak in your own mini-champagne bottle and flutes to offer a special toast to Strasbourg and the master builders who brought such a majestic place to life. The platform is open daily until 7.15pm, April to September, and until 5.15pm from October to March.
Strasbourg Cathedral, Place de la Cathedrale,Strasbourg, France, +33 3 88 21 43 34
Run a Barathon
Strasbourg is known for its beer and great watering holes, and locals have taken it a step further by turning the bar-crawl into an (unofficial) Olympic sport. Download theBarathon Schloukapp (boire un schlouk is Alsatian for ‘having a drink’) and you’ll get the best itinerary. Find the best pubs and bars handpicked by the Shlouk team, the best happy hours in real time, and even enter to win prizes if you’re attending during an official Barathon event.
Sleep inside a piece of art
The Graffalgar Hotel is like no other. It’s set in a converted classical hotel and is a portal to the young and thriving contemporary art scene in Strasbourg, where artists have been given carte blanche to decorate each room as they see artistically fit. Their imagination is the limit and the result is simply jaw-dropping and entirely singular.
Graffalgar Hotel, 17 Rue Déserte, Strasbourg, France, +33 3 88 24 98 40
Have a picnic in two countries
One of the most beautiful parks in Strasbourg is the perfect setting for an international picnic.As a symbol of Franco-German friendship, Strasbourg and the German town of Kehl built the Jardin des Deux Rives, a garden spanning the two banks of the river, linked by a stunning footbridge. On the German side, a viewing perch offers a panorama of Strasbourg, the Vosges and the Black Forest.
Les Jardin des Deux Rives, 3 Rue des Cavaliers, Strasbourg, France, +33 3 88 52 28 28
If you’re simply looking for a unique place to have a drink and encounter creative energy, then La PopArtiserie is for you. While you’re there, ask about the ever-changing calendar of events they host, as there are concerts, both pro and amateur, exhibitions and art performances.
La PopArtiserie, 3 Rue de l’Ail, Strasbourg, France, +33 03 69 57 41 65
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.