Shaped by the Ice Age, the archipelago of Turku is formed of over 20,000 islands and islets. A flat landscape and plentiful ferries make it an excellent cycling route for an adventurous holiday. But there’s also plenty to keep you busy in Turku city – the oldest city in Finland – with its medieval castle, food market and restaurant-lined River Aura.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Explore the city by bicycle
Turku is a perfect place for pedalling. Rent a bike – and a helmet – from Turku’s Tourist Office and pick up a free pyörätiekartta (bike-route map) to explore the flat and cycle-friendly city. You can’t go wrong on the scenic cycling path that traces the Aura River – it runs through the historic part of Turku, past cafes, restaurants and museums, as well as Turku’s main cathedral and medieval castle.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Have lunch at Turku Market Hall
Turku Market Hall, the second-oldest market hall in Finland, has been trading here since 1896. The brick-built hall extends the length of an entire block and remains a hub of the community. It’s a great introduction to Scandi cuisine, with fishmongers, butchers, cheese stalls and delicatessens among cafes serving traditional lunches, such as salmon soup with homemade rye bread – plus international food, like ramen and sushi.
Visit the Aboa Vetus Ars Nova Museum
Get your fill of modern art and ancient archaeology at one attraction – Aboa Vetus Ars Nova Museum. Divided into two distinct sections, Aboa Vetus (Old Turku) exhibits include authentic ruins, and one of medieval Turku’s main streets still runs through the museum. The Ars Nova display features an ever-rotating selection of contemporary art from the a permanent 650-piece collection, so you’ll never see the same combination of artwork twice.
Go back in time at the Luostarinmäki Handicrafts Museum
Turku was Finland’s biggest city when the Great Fire of Turku caused massive destruction in 1827. Luostarinmäki (Cloister Hill) was the only wooden-built district to be spared from the flames. Today, it’s an intriguing open-air museum, with old-fashioned workshops and examples of workers’ homes spread over 18 blocks of original wooden 18th- and 19th-century buildings. The museum shop sells craftwork and sweets, and Café Kisälli offers a traditional Finnish delicatessen.
Board the Steamship Ukkopekka
Western Finland is renowned for its coastal beauty, so what better way to experience it than to jump on board a steamship? Ukkopekka was built in 1938 and is the oldest steamship in Finland still in commercial use, having survived the seas throughout World War II. Its interior has been renovated, and now passengers can enjoy meals and refreshments on board. The ship sails from Turku to the nearby harbour town of Naantali.
Get a Turku Food Walk card
Eat your way around the city on Turku Food Walk – a gourmet card that allows you to eat in five different restaurants in any order. 10 different Turku restaurants participate in the Food Walk, and it’s valid for three days after purchase. They can be bought from Turku Tourist Office, or ordered online before your trip. The dishes included in the Food Walk vary from pintxos to burgers, with venues ranging from traditional Finnish restaurants to hipster cafés.
Walk around Turku Castle
Standing guard at the mouth of the River Aura since the 1280s, Turku Castle started out as a defence bastion for Swedish rulers. A fire in 1614 destroyed most of the castle, and it was damaged again during World War II. However, years of restoration have revived the castle to its former glory – walk among the whitewashed vaulted rooms, discover great halls and see exhibitions on the history of Turku. There’s a great cafe in the courtyard, too.
Hire a boat on the River Aura
The River Aura runs through the historic part of Turku, winding its way from the medieval Turku Castle, past cafes and restaurants – which spread their seating along the riverbank during the summer – to the cathedral. There is a little ferry, called Föri, which crosses the river regularly. Or you can hire an electric Låna Boat (for up to eight people) for between one and three hours – you don’t need any experience to operate them, and each has its own Bluetooth sound system.
Cycle the Archipelago Trail
Cycle across all the main islands of the Turku on a network of roads that are linked up by ferries. Known as the Archipelago Trail, the 200km (124mi) route can be done by car or bicycle, with a wide choice of guesthouses to stop at along the way – and options to shorten the route. A popular rental shop is Bike Rental by Carfield, which has 20 collection and drop-off points around the archipelago, so you can start and end your trip at different spots.
Shop at PUF Design Market
Sustainable fashion is big news in Finland – an ethos encapsulated by PUF Design Market. From its beginnings as a small pop-up shop, 200 Finnish brands now sell their sartorial wares in a two-storey concept shop, near the river on Linnankatu Street. The clothes are exactly what you’d expect from cool Finnish fashion – clean lines, earthy tones and all-round effortless-chic. PUF also organises fashions shows and concerts in its space.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.