There are endless summer days and there are saunas. What more do you need to know?
Small numbers are simple to understand, but when someone tells you there are nearly 188,000 lakes in Finnish Lakeland, your brain explodes. What does that look like? The short answer is: incredible. This nature-laden wonderland heaves with beauty both on and off the land – with long summer days, beautiful sunsets and captivating white nights. If you enjoy walking, cycling, swimming, canoeing, fishing, foraging, eating… or any one of a thousand other things, it’s here, in Finland’s Lakeland.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Explore Nuuksio National Park
Twinning Helsinki with Lakeland adventures is a popular choice for travellers to Finland, and this national park is a terrific example of why. It’s just 40 minutes from the capital, yet you’ll feel light years away from city life. There are trails galore – for everyone from strollers to hard-core hikers – that take you through dense forests, alongside pretty lakes and into glorious valleys. Birdwatch, rock climb or cycle your way through delicious scenery. Swim, canoe or fish in impossibly beautiful lakes. And, if you want to wake up and enjoy that morning stretch in serene surroundings, book a suspended lakeside tent near the park.
Paddle through Kolovesi National Park by canoe
Not for the faint of bum: you’ll spend the best part of eight hours cruising the narrow rivers that wind through the Lakeland wilderness. Within this well-known paddlers’ paradise – which forms part of the vast Saimaa lake system – you’ll encounter craggy cliffs, green shores and calm waters at a serene pace. On the trip you’ll also see ancient rock paintings that offer a glimpse into the fascinating past of local Finnish people and, if you get lucky, a beautiful Saimaa ringed seal.
Seek out the birds and the bears
Binoculars and bravery both feature equally on a tour of the western fringes of the Siberian boreal forests. On a single excursion in eastern Lakeland, the eagle-eyed may spot Siberian jays and tits, warblers, waders and 10 species of owl – there are birds here that are hard to find anywhere else on the planet. Then there’s the bears. Sacred in Finnish folklore, these great beasts take a little finding, so it’s worth staying overnight in a cabin-like hideaway to increase your chances. For animal-focused holidaymakers, it’s worth heading towards northern Lakeland next for the chance to see lynx and wolverines.
Peddle the Kikarinlampi MTB-trail, Taivalkoski
The love – and encouragement – of mountain biking in Lakeland is such that there are countless two-wheeled adventure trails for enthusiasts and beginners alike. This 13km (8mi) route near Taivalkoski offers the chance to see protected swamp areas – lovely ones, though, not the troll swamps of your childhood imagination – around the Kikarinlampi pond, taking you through pine forest and even a reindeer round-up fence, used in local husbandry. When you reach your halfway point, it’s impossible not to stop and stare at the views of the pond before continuing past tall trees, bogs and lingonberry bushes.
Experience the Finnish trinity – a waterside cottage with a sauna
Cottages are an institution in Finland, with locals flocking to them to relax for summer as well as winter breaks. Facilities vary from the uber-luxe to the very simple, but what’s death-and-taxes certain is that there’ll be a sauna. There are thousands of cottages in Finland to choose from – thanks to the country’s obsession with them – and Lakeland has plenty of beauties on offer with waterside locations, some with their own boat and jetty thrown into the price. Stock up on barbecue food, bring a fishing rod and prepare for an ethereal Finnish experience.
Visit bustling Kuopio
With the endless natural beauty on offer in the region, it could be easy to forget to enjoy some of its manmade delights. This harbour town is well worth a day or two of your time, especially in the summer months when it hosts dance and wine festivals, and there’s a glut of restaurant terraces by the harbour where you can enjoy the sight of steamboats chugging by, and why not embark an evening cruise while you’re here. Equally, take time to enjoy the colourful summer market, the iconic fresh produce purveyor Market Hall and eat at the Puijo Tower with unrivalled views of the lake district.
Road trip through Lakeland’s villages
Driving through this part of Finland is a joy. Natural wonders abound at every turn, plus there are some delightful places to stop for a drink, a stroll and a gander. Some of Lakeland’s villages are beyond charming, such as Luhanka – population 700 – where black coffee and beer are on tap. Fishing hotspot Suolahti, on the shores of Lake Keitele, is home to an abundance of great cottages to rent. Sumiainen, between Lake Keitele and Sumianen, is perfect for camping, cabins and swimming. And there’s Petajavesi, famed for its 250-year-old, Unesco-listed wooden church. These, and many more delights, await on a road trip like no other.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.