Finnish neo-urban homes and traditional log cabins are built not only for their beautiful design, but also to be as ecologically friendly as possible. Finland has had a strong environmental policy for several decades, and that includes construction of even the most everyday homes and buildings. These are some of the top features of Finland’s eco-homes and how they could help to someday save the planet.
Features of a Finnish eco-home
At first glance, a modern Finnish house or apartment building isn’t too different from any other home. It is when you look closer that you can see the environmental features. Good insulation is especially important in any Finnish building, since parts of the country reach temperatures of -30 °C (-22 °F) during winter. Yet even the most remote homes are designed to keep in as much warmth as possible so that the heating doesn’t need to be cranked up to full for the entire winter. Almost all windows on Finnish homes have triple or even quadruple glazing, with large gaps between the panes to trap heat inside the building. Even traditional log buildings, still constructed using time-honored materials and methods, can withstand low temperatures.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Radiators are generally designed to only be operational during the cold months, gradually warming up during September and October when the temperature drops. Yet they are not the only method of keeping homes warm. Specialty stoves, such as those made of tulikivi (firestone), bricks naturally absorb and conserve the energy used when cooking or lighting a log fire and distribute it throughout the rest of the house. A two-hour fire can provide up to 24 hours of heat this way.
Sustainable building materials
While most new buildings in Finland are constructed using concrete or mixed materials, even some modern homes are made from wood. This is because, as well as its insulating qualities and aesthetic value, wood is actually one of the most sustainable resources in Finland, where forests cover nearly 75% of the land. Forestry is a major industry in Finland that makes up a large part of the economy, but it is managed in such a way that the forest cover actually increases each year rather than decreases.
What is more, log houses absorb more carbon dioxide, meaning there are less greenhouse gases being released into the atmosphere, and are more airtight than other buildings. Producing wood for use as building material is also incredibly eco-friendly, as the leftover materials are recycled for other purposes.
Finnish eco-homes abroad
Traditional Finnish log cabins are trendy overseas due to their nostalgic look, which blends in perfectly with natural surroundings. But they are also attractive due to their eco-friendliness. Finnish timber and tulikivi stone are heavy and difficult to import, yet the investment practically pays for itself with the amount of money it saves in energy bills. With any luck, future homebuilders and architects will be impressed by these features and use them to create more eco-homes, which will go a long way towards saving the planet.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.