When you’re staying in the remote wilderness in Finland, it can be difficult to reach the nearest shops and restaurants. Thankfully, Finland is one of the best places in the world for wild food: finding your own ingredients in the wild and cooking them using natural methods. It is a long tradition in Finland, stemming back to nomadic times, and is still practised today by country dwellers and holidaymakers. Most rental summer cottages come with a stove or fire pit that you can use to cook over. Here’s how you can find and prepare your own lunch in the Finnish countryside.
Berries and mushrooms
Searching the forest floor for wild berries and mushrooms is one of the most popular summer activities in Finland. It is cheap and accessible and can teach you a lot about foraging. Wild strawberries and raspberries are easy to find here, and chanterelle mushrooms also grow in abundance at the bases of trees. If you are lucky, you may even find some rare mushrooms.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you are new to foraging, you will need a guide, or at the very least a guidebook, to tell you what to pick and what is safe to eat. The best way to avoid accidentally consuming something poisonous is to pick only those plants and fungi that you can identify and know for certain are safe.
Finding wild plants and herbs to flavour your food is a larger challenge for the untrained eye. If you use a guide, you can find many tasty herbs that are safe to eat and use them to make everything from tea to syrup. Pine needles, nettle leaves and lichen can all be used to flavour food. Wood sorrel is a common edible plant, notable for its small white flowers. Sheep’s sorrel also goes very well with fish.
The Finnish countryside may offer plenty of wild animals that can make a tasty meal, but hunting is rigorously regulated in Finland and hunting permits are difficult to obtain. The good news is that fishing licenses can be purchased easily, and the hundreds of thousands of lakes in Finland offer up over 100 different species of fish to catch. The clear, clean waters of Finland also mean that they are perfectly safe to eat.
Cooking your ingredients
Using a campfire, fire pit or stove with some gathered firewood, there are many things you can do with the ingredients you have found. Mushrooms and onions can easily be made into soup, while fish can be smoked, fried or grilled. Berries, once washed, can be used to flavour food or eaten on their own for dessert.
Zester Daily has several recipes that can be made with ingredients foraged from the Finnish countryside, including carrots with sweet cicely and salmon fillet with daisy shoots. This is Finland has recipes for salmon soup, pikeperch and lingonberry porridge, among others. If you are creative and daring with your recipes, you will be amazed at the number of meals you can cook with foraged ingredients in Finland.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.