If somebody you know is obsessed with all things Finnish, there are plenty of attractive and useful gifts you can buy them from Finland, and even from some specialist online shops for Finnish items. These are some of the most popular gifts for people who love Finland, and some lesser-known goodies which will make any Finland fan happy.
Limited edition Moomin tableware
Anybody who loves Finland more than likely loves the Moomins too, and you can find Moomin merchandise everywhere in Finland from high-end jewellery boutiques to small grocery stores. For something truly special, buy your friend the limited edition Moomin Arabia plates, mugs, or bowls – there are new designs every year. The mug shaped like the Moomin house with a removable roof is especially charming.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
To make a home feel Finnish, buy some Iittala glassware, since practically every home in Finland has at least one Iittala item. Candle holders made from coloured glass are especially popular, as are the pretty and refined Toikka glass birds.
The Marimekko brand screams Nordic efficiency. The patterns are bold and colourful yet simple and tasteful. Marimekko clothing can be expensive but you can buy someone a nice gift by picking up a bag, purse, or even an apron in striking floral patterns.
Hand knitted sweater
To feel as cosy as Finns do during the winter, buy a hand knitted poncho or sweater with a colourful design. You can find these in most city’s artisan districts. They are especially common further up north in Lapland, where you can also find comfy handmade boots, socks, and hats which can keep you warm all winter long.
Tom of Finland coffee
The Tom of Finland brand is popular worldwide for its kitsch value and unabashed homoeroticism. You can find the artwork on everything from postcards to oven mitts in Finland. But the most oddly appealing of all is the official Tom of Finland brand coffee, which you can find in most large supermarkets in Finland. The coffee is rich, strong, and bold, much like Tom of Finland himself.
Jewellery from Taito shop
Finnish efficiency extends to jewellery too. The jewellery found in Taito shops is beautiful, uncomplicated, and is all hand crafted by local artisans. Most Taito shops will also offer to gift wrap jewellery for you.
Reindeer skin gloves
Thick gloves lined with reindeer skin are expensive, over €50 each, but essential for preventing frostbite during the cold Finnish winters. While most other countries may not have winters quite as cold, the gloves can still keep your hands cosy. Sales of reindeer skin clothing also help to support the reindeer farmers of Lapland.
Walking around Finland during the winter, you will see that everybody has a reflector on their bag or coat to help them stand out to vehicles in the dark Finnish conditions. These reflectors come in all sorts of pleasing designs and with popular Finnish characters such as the Moomins or Angry Birds. Buying one for a friend means they can wear a common Finnish staple and stay safe during winter at the same time.
Salmiakki, or salted liquorice, is only for those who are truly obsessed with Finland and who can handle the odd Finnish tastes. For something particularly distinct, look out for salmiakki covered in smooth Fazer chocolate. Just be careful trying it yourself!
For those who prefer alcohol as a souvenir, a big bottle of Finlandia vodka is perfect. It comes in many flavours including lime, coconut, and mango plus the plain classic vodka. Be wary, however, as it is almost 40 percent alcohol.
Canned reindeer meat
To people outside of Finland it may seem sadistic to eat reindeer meat, yet it is a staple in Finland and even eaten as Christmas dinner in Lapland. For a friend who likes trying unusual food, pick out some canned reindeer meat, which can even be found in regular supermarkets in small villages. You can also find meat of moose, wild boar, elk, and bear which can be cooked in a variety of ways. Fancy some bear pie, moose stew, or a wild boar sandwich?
Sauna essential oils
The use of essential oils has gained some controversy online lately, yet they are still popular in Finland for use in sauna aromatherapy. You simply add a few drops of the oil into the sauna water, throw it on the coals, and the whole sauna is filled with the aroma. Finnish sauna oils come in unusual variants including salmiakki. If your friend doesn’t have a sauna then the oils can be used in a diffuser like regular essential oils (just don’t try using them as medicine!).
Fiskars kitchen essentials
For the person who likes practical gifts, anything from Fiskar will make them happy. The Finnish Fiskar brand are best known for their iconic orange-handled scissors, but they also make a range of kitchen products such as knives, cheese graters, and potato peelers, often with the classic orange handles. Fiskars products are incredibly high quality and will likely last for years.
Reindeer antler bottle opener
If you want a reindeer souvenir but don’t like the thought of reindeer being killed to make gifts, look out for stalls selling reindeer antler bottle openers. Reindeer shed their antlers every year so their owners collect them, attach bottle openers to the end, and sell them to earn additional income. They also look fun and quirky hanging in the kitchen or being used to open a beer.
Heavy metal band merch
For Finnish heavy metal band merchandise which can’t be found anywhere else, head straight to the source. You can find merch for Finnish heavy metal bands including t-shirts, badges, and posters in record stores or at concerts. For more specific items, look out for specialist stores such as the dark metal store KVLT in Helsinki.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.