Finnish Lapland is quickly becoming one of the top travel destinations for families with children, especially for the once-in-a-lifetime chance to visit Santa’s village and ride in a reindeer sleigh. As amazing as these opportunities are, there are many more things to do throughout Finland at any time of year that parents and children can enjoy together. Here are some of the best places to take children in Finland for fun and educational adventures.
The Moomin’s theme park on the Turku archipelago is a must-visit for children and a nostalgic guilty pleasure for adults. It’s considered by some to be one of the best children’s theme parks in the world. You can visit the Moomin’s house, the Hattifatner’s cave and Snufkin’s campsite, and meet costumed Moomin characters. Various stage shows and workshops are held in multiple languages. You can also pick up some Moomin merchandise and food and then spend some time relaxing on the beach.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Särkänniemi complex in Tampere contains an amusement park, observation tower, aquarium, art museum, planetarium and arcade, so there is literally something for everyone. Children especially love the Angry Birds land (another Finnish franchise popular with children), and there are plenty of thrill rides for older children, too.
Heureka Science Centre
A great way to get kids excited about science, Heureka in Vantaa has exhibits on practically every area of science and technology with interactive activities for children. This includes seeing rats playing basketball, watching planetarium shows and minting coins.
It isn’t only reindeer that children love to see in Finland. Their larger cousins, the moose, are well worth a visit, too. The Moose Manor Hirvikartano is situated in the backwoods of Finland and allows children to get up close to tame moose, reindeer and fallow deer.
It’s not often you get to see a European brown bear up close, either. The Predator Centre in Kuusamo, run by Finland’s famous ‘bear man’ Sulo Karjalainen, raises orphaned bears, as well as foxes and lynx, and allows visitors to observe them and learn more about them. Watching the bears at feeding time is especially fun, as the giant predators suddenly turn into cuddly critters demanding food.
For something a little different from a reindeer sleigh ride, try a husky safari through Lapland. Husky safaris can last anywhere from an afternoon to several days, and offer a ride on a sledge through a winter wonderland. Some centres will also allow children to try out mushing and visit with the huskies and their puppies.
This is one of Tampere’s most unusual museums and also the most fun for kids. Interactive exhibits allow both adults and children to feel like James Bond, with exhibits about lie detector tests, making fake IDs, ciphers and eavesdropping. You can also learn some of the fascinating stories behind real-life spies and KGB agents.
For both kids and adults who love dressing up, the Viking market held in Åland every July is perfect. The village of Saltvik is taken back in time for a weekend with costumes, trade stands, workshops, live entertainment, feasts and historical enactments. It is especially ideal for children who are learning about the Vikings at school, as they can feel as if they are in a real Viking village.
The soaring towers of Olavinlinna Castle are probably the closest that Finland has to a real-life fairy tale castle, even if its gory and violent history is far from romantic (yet still appealing to children’s morbid sense of humour). As well as a tour of the castle, there are historical costumes to try on, children’s workshops and family shows at the world famous Savonlinna Opera Festival.
Tankavaara Gold Village
You may not have imagined that you could go gold panning in Finland, but you can at Tankavaara in Lapland, the centre of the Finnish gold rush. Any gold and gemstones that visitors uncover are theirs to keep, making for a highly unique and personal souvenir. The site also has a gold museum, husky sledging, reindeer, snowmobiles, a Lappish restaurant and regular events.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.