When visiting the Finnish city of Tampere and its surrounding regions, one thing that everyone should try is an authentic Finnish sauna. Thankfully, there are many options throughout Tampere, offering the full range of sauna experiences from modern luxury saunas to rustic smoke saunas. Remember that most of these facilities need to be booked in advance, as they can take up to six hours to heat up properly.
A key stop for any sauna enthusiast, Rajaportti is the oldest public sauna in Finland that is still open. It has been operating since 1906, which technically makes the sauna older than the state of Finland. It still uses the original woodburning stove, making it an authentic traditional sauna with a relaxed atmosphere. There is also a café and a masseuse on site.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Rajaportti Sauna, Tampere, Finland, +358 503102611
This artificial lakeside beach, built in 1929, contains two saunas, and is only a few kilometres from Tampere’s central square. Both of the saunas require swimsuits and are open year-round. During the summer there is a café with wonderful views open on the beach, and in winter the same lake can be used for ice swimming.
Operated by volunteers from the winter swimming association, this sauna on Lake Näsijärvi has been operating since 1977 and was renovated after a fire in 2008. It is particularly popular in the winter, and typically has over 300 guests on Christmas Eve. Not only are drinks on sale for consumption in the sauna, but also sausages, so that visitors can enjoy the unique Finnish custom of cooking sausages over sauna coals.
Varala Sports Institute
A sauna is inviting after an intense workout, which is why the Varala Sports Institute has two lakeside saunas. These contain floor-to-ceiling glass windows, an outdoor fireplace and a staircase leading down to the lake for swimming.
About 25 kilometres (16 miles) outside Tampere city centre, this sauna and art and recreation centre has some historical importance, as it was the favourite country retreat of former Finnish president Urho Kekkonen. Visiting this sauna really does feel like an escape from the stress of modern life and it is a great place to relax.
Miina’s Smoke Sauna
A small but highly traditional smoke sauna, Miina’s offers not only a 100-year-old smoke sauna but also bloodletting, hot-stone therapy and peat treatments. If these sound a little too extreme for you, you can still enjoy the old sauna, take a dip in the lake afterwards and try some traditional Finnish food.
Visiting a sauna is all well and good, but have you ever thought of building one of your own? This Tampere-based company will arrive at the location of your choice (preferably beside a lake) and bring a tent sauna large enough for your group, for you to set up. Full materials and instructions are provided, and the company will disassemble it afterwards, too. It is a truly unique sauna experience.
Telttasauno, +358 400243559
Hämmin Roof Sauna
Located in Tampere city centre, this rooftop event space contains a sauna with gorgeous views over the city. Catering can also be provided. It may sound odd, but a sauna is an integral part of any Finnish party or social event. You can provide the perfect activity for your party at this stylish modern sauna.
A small sauna located at an island spa, Suomensaaren Sauna is a simple no-thrills venue, but one that is highly affordable, at only €6 for adult admission, and truly authentic. It is open year-round for both summer bathing and warming up after winter skiing. The lake is great for swimming in and offers beautiful views in both summer and winter.
Suomensaaren Sauna, Suomensaarenkatu 7, 33410 Tampere, Finland, +358 442721403
This business centre located in a beautiful repurposed former factory building also contains a sauna for relaxing after a long day of meetings. It is close to the city centre with picturesque views over the city, but still retains a cosy, rustic atmosphere to help you get rid of all that stress.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.