Japanese sushi might be the most famous, but there’s a new sushi destination on the horizon. The Faroe Islands are sea-locked between Iceland and Norway and have developed a unique type of Nordic sushi, whose delicacies – thanks to the unpolluted, glacial waters – are among the best in the world.
A tiny chain of rugged cliffs, tucked away in the Atlantic Ocean between Iceland and Norway, stands as the forgotten Faroe Islands. Most of its native inhabitants are descended from fishing people, a culture that rests ingrained in everyone’s hearts, and inspires freshly-caught mouth-watering cuisine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Beneath the breathtaking scenery and splendid tranquility lurks a remarkably diverse and abundant fish population. The fish thrive thanks to the warm jet that flows from the Gulf Stream into the incredibly clean, unpolluted, glacial waves that pound away around the islands.
The delicacy of raw fish conjures up images of Japan, but this doesn’t mean other destinations can’t excel at this ancient art. Etika is the only restaurant that specializes in serving the unique delicacy of Nordic sushi in the forgotten Faroe Islands, and whisks you away on a unique gastronomic journey.
In this interview, we met up with the master-chef behind Etika, Siddesh Dhabolkar, who previously worked in a five-star hotel in Dubai before settling to craft Nordic sushi in the Faroe Islands. We wanted to find out how different Nordic sushi is from Japanese sushi, and discover what’s so special about its vibrant flavors.
“The sushi we serve at Etika is similar to Japanese cuisine, but with a completely different ingredient,” Dhabolkar tells Culture Trip. “The cold climate in the Faroe Islands is perfect for preserving the raw items of sushi, making sure there’s no bacteria. Everything is completely fresh. The people that catch the fish are highly skilled too.”
The fish at Etika is exclusively from the Faroe Islands, which seems only natural. Why bother with importing fish from elsewhere when the local fish is already world-class? “We have pure water which we don’t need to filter. I think it’s one of the cleanest places in Europe, there’s just no pollution,” he says.
There are several health dangers from eating fish from polluted waters, even if the levels of pollution are ever so slight, but that is not an issue that ever crosses the chef’s mind in this pristine, sea-locked country.
Not only is the stellar quality of the fish of vital importance to Etika, but also the aesthetic lure of its assemblage on the plate. “It’s very artistic what we do at Etika, everything is garnished with attraction.”
The chef is particularly proud of his crab, which is actually very filling in this restaurant despite what you might expect. “We sculpt the crab by its legs into an artistic masterpiece, which the customers love.” Whatever you order, you’ll be impressed with the design and the impeccable attention to detail.
With every dish that arrives, there’s the awe-inspiring draw of breath as expectations (largely associated with the Japanese world of sushi) are completely upturned. “The reaction is important for us in the kitchen, we like to inspire the customers.”
Etika likes to put their own spin on expectations and cite their Ebi avacodo, deep fried scallops, and caterpillar roll as local favorites, orders which demonstrate that gastronomy can be a continuous spectacle of reinvention.
There is a patriotic emphasis on local food sourcing, which even comes down to the decorative use of locally sourced flowers. “Even the flowers I use to decorate the dishes are edible, grown locally in the Faroe Islands,” he says. In this sense, the sushi in the Faroes is a lot wider in scope compared to traditional forms, unafraid to embrace new associations.
Of course, sushi is a relatively new approach that has been adopted by the Faroe Islands. This is reflected in the fact that there is only one sushi house in operation.
There are other restaurants offering a more traditional glimpse into the world-class quality of their fish. For example, Barbara Fishhouse is located in a cute house cut into the rocks.
The fish they serve is wholesome and filling, aligned more traditionally on the plate, but still with a freshness that floods the mouth. The cuisine they serve, in authentically quaint Faroe fish-house surrounds, also gives a nod to the ancient Nordic technique of ‘wind-drying fish’ – hanging them out over cliffs to dry.
The incredibly blustery weather that lingers over the island for most of the year means that the fish at Barbara Fish House is particularly well-dressed for devouring by the time it finally reaches the plate.
If you’re visiting Tórshavn for the first time to dine at Etika or Barbara Fishhouse, then we’d highly recommend you staying at Hotel Foroyar. This gorgeous four-star hotel is tucked away on top of the hill in Tórshavn, with the rolling hills, quaint fishing harbour, and atmospheric fog lending the venue a mystical feel.
As you’ll notice, the roof is curiously lined with grass, a typical stylistic trait of the Faroe Islands that makes their architecture look simply adorable. And what’s great is that the rugged local landscape you can see from the window offers an enticing excuse to head for a hike whatever the weather.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.