Tartu, the capital of students and wisdom, is the second biggest city in Estonia, attracting many tourists and travelers every year. Depending on your taste and preferences, there are plenty of wonderful things that you can see and do in Tartu, starting with a historic journey in the Old Town and finishing with wild parties in the best nightclubs.
AHHAA Science Centre is the biggest technology center in Estonia and the entire Baltic States. Its main purpose is to promote science and show people how it can be both interactive and useful in everyday life. There are hundreds of different exhibits in AHHAA Science Centre, including a huge planetarium and 4d Adventure Cinema. If you only have time to visit one place in Tartu, it should probably be this.
Sadama 1, Tartu, Estonia +372 745 6789
The Old Town
Tartu is a very old city with a rich history, which you can learn by walking around the beautiful Tartu Old Town. It is definitely the most stunning part of Tartu to visit. Most of the attractions, including museums and restaurants, are located in the Old Town as well.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Kissing Students fountain is the most recognizable symbol in Tartu. It is a must for lovers who are in the city, to visit the statue of two kissing students under the umbrella as it is considered to be a sign of everlasting love! Most newlyweds also come to kiss under the fountain so you can expect to see traditional Estonian weddings as well!
View this post on Instagram
Love is in the air in Tartu 💗🇪🇪 . . . #Thekissingstudentsfountain #raekojaplats #townhalltartu #Tartu #VisitTartu #Estonia #VisitEstonia #balticcountries #universitycity #students #romantic #love #amor #girlswhotravel #visitingthebaltics #europe #ig_europe #europa #ig_estonia #iamatraveler #traveling #ilovetravel #holidays #vacation #summer #verano
Luke Manor and Manor Park
Luke Manor and Manor Park is a little outside of Tartu, but it is definitely worth a visit for people who are interested in old manor houses with huge parks and ponds. This Neo-Baroque and Heimat manor house dates back to 1557 and it has been through a lot since then. Sadly, the main house was destroyed in 1941. The best time to visit this place is during the summer when the weather in Estonia is hot and sunny.
Traditional Estonian food
Estonians pay a lot of attention to the food they eat so the quality of restaurants in Tartu is very high. There are a lot of wonderful restaurants where you can try traditional Estonian food and understand a little more about the cuisine and culture.
There are a lot of wonderful churches built all over Tartu. Some of the most popular are St Paul’s Church, Roman Catholic Church of Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and Tartu St Peter’s Church. You can learn all about Estonian architecture just by carefully studying the magnificent churches, which are still open for masses and other events.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.