Windswept beaches and quaint fishing villages attract outdoor adventurers to the largest island in Estonia. Discover the medieval Kuressaare Castle, ancient Kaali meteorite crater field and much more on your next trip to Saaremaa Island.
Almost half-covered in forests and home to more spas than anywhere else in Estonia, Saaremaa Island is a hard-to-beat spot for a rejuvenating mini-break. Here’s our pick of the best things to do in Saaremaa, from dining in a 19th-century windmill to exploring its unspoiled landscapes by bicycle.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There’s no better place on the island to watch the sun go down than at the Sorve Lighthouse. Erected in 1960, it is the tallest lighthouse in the Baltic Sea and occupies Saaremaa’s southernmost point. For a small fee, climb the 145 steps to the top and reward yourself with views all the way to Latvia from its high vantage point. Surrounded by white sand beaches and wide-open skies, it’s a particularly photogenic spot.
Once a 19th-century working windmill, Saaremaa Veski is now a popular restaurant. Tuck into local specialities such as cheese balls and wild boar tenderloin, all served on tables set amid the building’s original machinery. During the summer months, kick back in the garden decked with stone tables and comfy beanbags whilst the third-floor terrace is the place to enjoy spectacular views of Kuressaare.
Saaremaa’s flat roads and low traffic density make it an ideal cycling destination. Rent a bike from Saaremaa Day Tours, situated next to Restaurant Ku Ku in central Kuressaare. Explore the cycling trails around the city or, alternatively, take any of the main roads leaving the city to the west, north or east. In the north of the island, a popular coastal route starts in Kihelkonna and runs for around 65km (40mi) to Leisi.
The world’s eighth youngest giant crater site is situated a 15-minute drive from Kuressaare. Around 7,500 years ago, an earthbound meteorite broke into several pieces just above this hallowed area. The largest fragment created a 110m (361ft) wide and 22m (72ft) deep crater. During the first century CE, it was believed to have been used for sacrificial rituals by the island’s inhabitants. Today it’s filled with water, but you can still stroll around its edge.
Estonia’s third-largest island is connected to Saaremaa by a causeway as well as a regular ferry service to the mainland. Its lush landscapes, thatched cottages and traditional costumes have remained unchanged for centuries, earning it a nickname as “the place where time rests”. Key attractions include the open-air museum in Koguva village, the 13th-century Saint Catherine’s Church and Alexander restaurant at the five-star Padaste resort, one of Estonia’s finest eateries.
Pack a picnic before heading to Angla Hill, where you’ll see the only remaining windmills on Saaremaa. The hilltop attraction consists of four trestle windmills dating from the early 19th century. Kids will appreciate the farm animals in a mini-zoo, plus there’s a souvenir shop and a museum dedicated to local folklore. Enjoy your picnic on one of the wooden tables scattered outside, or head to the cafe to sample home-cooked regional dishes.
Saaremaa has more spas than any other destination in Estonia. One of its best can be found within Kuressaare’s four-star GOSPA Georg Ots Hotel, situated on the waterfront overlooking the castle and sea. Its wellness centre features nude Finnish and infrared saunas, a jacuzzi, hot and cold pools, plus treatments using the hotel’s own Kena products, developed from Saaremaa’s natural resources. Tailor your spa break by choosing from a menu of two-night, all-inclusive packages.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.